The following job is no longer available:
Head of Digital Products, Ideation and Enterprise
Head of Digital Products, Ideation and Enterprise
UKRI - NERC - BGS
Based at the BGS Headquarters in Keyworth, Nottingham, with national and international travel
UKRI Pay Band G - Salary from £60,026 per annum to £66,695 per annum depending on qualifications and experience
Full-time - 37 hours a week (a range of flexible working options may be available)
The British Geological Survey (BGS) is an applied geoscience research centre that is part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and affiliated to the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC). It is a world leading geological survey that provides a core science mission to inform government of science related to the subsurface and its interfaces and also undertakes applied research for solutions to earth and environmental processes, both in the UK and globally. It is funded directly by UKRI as well as through research grants and via private sector contracts.
BGS has an annual budget of approximately £60 million and employs 650 people. It has two main sites, a head office in Keyworth near Nottingham and the Lyell Centre, which is a joint collaboration with Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh. BGS works with more than 150 private sector organisations as well as having close links with 40 universities and sponsors approximately 100 PhD students each year.
About the role
We are looking for a leader who can lead on the development of the next generation of our digital products and services. You will need to demonstrate strengths in productisation and innovation. You will understand how to use geological data to solve major environmental challenges and be able to support external stakeholders to use BGS data to drive economic growth.
You will be responsible for a budget of £2.5M, and 4 teams covering digital product development and data delivery. You will work in collaboration with research leaders and external stakeholders to translate research data into novel digital products and services. In collaboration with senior leaders in BGS digital, you will develop new workflows, data models and support systems behind our products and services to ensure their effective and efficient delivery. You will be accountable to the Chief Digital Officer, and working closely with the Chief Scientists, you will ensure that the delivery of BGS data products and licencing strategy aligns with UK Government and international policy.
Key duties of the role involve:
- To lead on the development of products and services to enable government, business and the public to benefit from BGS vast collections of data. You will apply your understanding of the needs of all our stakeholders to champion opportunities for value creation, translating your awareness and geo-environmental research knowledge into new products and services.
- Provide strategic leadership for the development and delivery of the BGS digital geological maps of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (onshore and offshore). Work with the Director for National to ensure that BGS digital maps are of the highest quality and are scientifically robust. In collaboration with senior technical leads in BGS digital, you will be responsible for the development of new workflows, data models and support systems behind our core map products so that new geospatial data management systems can be implemented to enable automated product development workflows to address requirements for data discoverability, quality assurance, security and interoperability.
- Provide strategic leadership for the development and delivery of BGS's free data and information products and services (OpenGeoscience), for example Geology of Britain Viewer, GeoIndex, BGS Geology 625K and hydrology datasets, chemical data and the soil geochemical atlas as well as the 1Km resolution Soil Parent Material map.
- Provide strategic leadership for the Development and maintenance of BGS' portfolio of premium products and services relating to GeoHazards, natural resources, energy, national infrastructure (BGS Civils), health (Radon) and environmental change (GeoClimate) correlated specifically to current government policy and stakeholder needs.
- Oversee development of BGS business analysis and user experience expertise to facilitate a stakeholder-first approach, identifying core sectors and their needs and streamlining the internal processes and external services that support them.
With extensive senior management experience within the data and technology field, you should have a PhD in a relevant geo-environmental or data science discipline or a first degree and relevant work experience to demonstrate scientific knowledge equivalent to a PhD. Ideally, you will also hold a post-graduate qualification in innovation and / or user experience or geospatial analytics.
With a demonstrable commitment to digital geoscience, your excellent communication and interpersonal skills will enable you to work with both external stakeholders and internal teams, leading them in handling complex multi-dimensional problems and creating innovative solutions.
Please also refer to the specific essential and desirable skills criteria for this post.
What we offer
A generous benefits package is also offered, including a very competitive pension scheme, 30 days annual leave plus bank holidays, free parking and access to flexi-time.
We also offer the 'Bike to Work' scheme, free parking, health and wellbeing support, social clubs and on-site sports facilities.
Please note that any internal BGS staff applying for this post would, if successful, be appointed to new UKRI Terms and Conditions and pay.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. We would stress the importance of this paperwork in our selection process. A well thought through application addressing the advertised essential and desirable criteria for the post will be considered far more favourably than a generic covering letter and CV.
Applications are being handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please click the apply button.
Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0).
Closing date for receipt of applications is 22nd October 2020. Interviews are expected to be held in late October in Nottingham.
BGS provides a range of flexible working options including flexible working patterns, compressed hours and home working so if you have a need for flexibility, please raise this in the
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'