Morgan Hunt are recruiting for a Head of Audit & Risk for our Local Authority client based in East London. The role full time and to start ASAP for an initial 7 months, paying £500 per day Umbrella (inside IR35).
This role requires a Basic DBS, applicants that do not already hold one can apply upon offer acceptance.
Purpose of the role:
1. To ensure the highest professional standards in Risk Management and Audit, and to develop effective polices and procedures which reflect the strategic and operational objectives of the Council and its partners
2. To provide expert knowledge of risk management to the council
3. To lead the development and implementation of a comprehensive Risk Management strategy, integrating service planning, budgeting and risk management
4. To ensure compliance with all statutory and professional requirements for the provision of the internal Audit Service
5. To be a member of the division's senior management team, participate in management team meetings, contributing to the development and implementation of policies and strategies that will optimise service delivery
Job activities include:
1. Formulate a risk based Strategic Audit Plans for approval by the Service Head Financial Services; Risk and Accountability, and the Corporate Director of Resources and the Audit Committee
2. Develop and implement an Insurance strategy that ensures optimum cover, minimises premiums and maintains an insurance fund at a level appropriate to the potential liabilities
3. Develop and maintain an anti-fraud strategy and ensure this is implemented across the Council
4. Provide high level performance, budgetary and other management reports as required
5. Manage the provision of services from third party providers using appropriate measuring and monitoring mechanisms to achieve specified outcomes. Maximise opportunities for knowledge transfer and staff development.
6. Perform and report upon an annual evaluation of the effectiveness of the Council's systems of internal control.
7. Identify, evaluate, profile and report upon strategic corporate risks and recommend suitable controls or mitigating action
8. To promote the principles of sound corporate governance throughout the Council
9. To be responsible for ensuring that the Council maintains its risk management practices in accordance with all current legislation; professional and other relevant standards and external audit requirements.
10. To draft reports and written advice to Members, the Corporate Management Team and other senior managers that are clear, accessible and present clear options for decision.
11. Ensure that staff are given the necessary training and development to achieve required competencies and qualitative and quantitative performance targets. Continually monitor the performance of staff and develop and promote initiatives to increase staff motivation.
12. Ensure that effective action is taken to address under-performance.
13. To provide expert advice on Audit, Risk Management, Fraud Prevention, Governance and insurance matters as required.
14. Prepare and present reports on the service as required and represent the section at both internal and external meetings ensuring communications are maintained with other departments, sections, contractors and external agencies
15. To co-ordinate the allocation of work providing the necessary management and leadership to achieve the objectives of the service.
16. To manage continual change within the Service and on a daily basis manage conflicting priorities.
- IIA Qualified
- Qualified Accountant
Morgan Hunt is a multi award winning Employment Business for interim, contract and temporary recruitment and acts as an Employment Agency in relation to permanent vacancies. Morgan Hunt is an equal opportunities employer.