£26-38k + benefits + bonus
Who we are and what we do
We’re YO! Sushi - we’re all about fast and fresh Japanese food, served up daily in a cool Tokyo-style conveyor belt restaurant. We’re all about our people, too, and we’re dedicated to looking after them. As part of our team you’ll get real responsibility from the start, including putting your own stamp on our fresh and delicious menu.
Who we’re looking for
First off - you don’t need to be a sushi chef to work here. We’ll train you in every aspect of sushi preparation, from teriyaki to your temaki. What’s really important is that you’re passionate about taking fresh, fine ingredients, like our sustainable fish and locally-grown produce - and transforming them from scratch into something that will delight the customers sitting around you at the belt.
You also need to be passionate about people, and get as much of a kick out of developing, supporting and nurturing your team’s talents as you do from rolling the perfect maki. Our chefs are leaders, and we give them lots of freedom - from choosing what to order each week to interacting with guests across the belt from our busy open kitchens.
Why it’s great to work here
Being a head chef in one of our restaurants means:
• working with the freshest, best-quality ingredients, and creating each dish from scratch with no corners cut - absolutely no microwaves or pre-prepared food
• getting the chance to develop your Asian food skills and attend an amazing range of training sessions and chef competitions
• leading and developing your team, using your management skills to bring out their individual strengths
• enjoying a vibrant, friendly atmosphere in an open kitchen with a great work-life balance, and you won’t be stuck in back of house with the same faces each day
• getting your voice heard - we have a flat structure with a free flow of ideas, and we make sure everyone gets their say, from junior team members to the CEO
• The chance to grow, we take peoples careers seriously and like to home grow our talent.
To succeed here you’ll need:
• several years’ experience in a kitchen, leading and developing a team
• a passion for learning and expanding your culinary skills, embracing each challenge and being open to new ideas
• the ability to develop and mentor more junior staff, both individually and as part of an efficient, happy team
• natural leadership qualities, with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to think calmly and fast
• Great communication skills - you’ll be comfortable serving customers too
• strong financial instincts - you’ll be confident handling budgets, forecasting and stock control stuff
Plus, all YO! Sushi staff receive..
• free food at every shift
• access to a great bonus scheme
• 50% discount at all YO! Restaurants
With us, your first role isn’t usually your last - we promote from within and always look to develop our best and brightest people. Will you be one of them?
- Communication Skills