5 days a week (working four weekdays and one weekend day)
Salary commensurate with experience
We grow more than 750,000 bedding plants per year in our modern nursery production area which sits behind our Tiptree Garden Centre. We are looking for a team player with experience of growing in a commercial environment, ideally with current certificates in spraying, pest & disease control etc.
- Carrying out roles as required to produce plants in our nursery.
- Operating nursery machinery such as potting machine, seeder & transplanting machine
- Moving stock around - manually and with machinery
- General maintenance and plant care - could include watering & irrigation, weeding, pruning, propagation, cleaning etc.
- Labeling of products
- Grading and sorting plants as required
- Assist in the day to day supervision of the nursery team
- Assist in task planning with the nursery production manager, and ensure that the plan is delivered each day
- Monitor / maintain production quality, and assist in training unskilled team members. Lead by example and provide constructive feedback
- Deputise for the nursery production manager in their absence
- Pest and disease control in greenhouses, and across wider garden centre. Will include spraying using knapsack and pedestrian trolley sprayer (PA1 certificate required) and biological pest control
- Work closely with retail Plant Area team, to ensure plants are ready for dispatch and they are regularly notified of crop readiness schedules. Occasionally assist in retail areas e.g. moving plants and stocking up, labelling, cleaning
- On occasion you may be required to visit our second site at Sudbury, to monitor crops and assist with pest and disease control
- Ability to work both inside and outside in varied weather conditions
- You must be able to bend, lift and pull/push trolleys and barrows
- Ability to work as a member of a team, and able to operate in a fast-paced commercial facility
- Ability to use your own initiative, and you can quickly get to grips with ever changing crops, seasons and retail demands
- A keen interest in plants and related products, and current experience of growing within a commercial environment
- Flexibility to work additional or varied hours according to seasonal requirements (for example spraying plant protection products outside normal working hours)
- You'll need to work some bank holidays (as part of a rota with other assistants) and will be paid time and a half, and given a day in lieu
- Experience of working in a production nursery, Garden Centre or similar environment is essential
- Excellent bedding plant knowledge essential
- Good communication skills essential
- Current certificates in fork-lift truck driving and spraying / pest & disease control preferred, but training will be given if necessary
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'