Group financial controller
Salary: from £65,000 per annum
Location: Bristol or Harwell
Jisc is helping to ensure the UK remains at the forefront of innovation within UK education and research - by mobilising the very best people and technologies in the application of digital thinking, digital content and connectivity.
It’s our vision to enable the UK to become the most digitally-advanced education and research nation in the world. It’s a bold statement, but one that we’re determined to fulfil.
About the role
This is a key leadership role within the Jisc finance and commercial directorate assisting the Chief Financial Officer to deliver excellence and cost effectiveness of Jisc’s financial and commercial support services.
The role of Group financial controller leads on aspects of Jisc’s internal and external financial reporting, as well as auditor liaison, budgeting and forecasting, cost saving and finance business partnering. This role has a seat on several key committees across Jisc.
You will be responsible for the line management of thirteen people, including five direct reports
To be successful in the role, you will need to be a ACA qualified accountant (or equivalent) and an experienced manager leading a finance function delivering high performance, continuous improvement and excellent financial analysis
You will also need:
- To be able to build strong positive working relationships across all levels, supported by excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Excellent people management skills, with the ability to inspire and motivate staff and to delegate effectively
- A track record of achievements through others and of building positive working relationships, supported by excellent communication skills (written, spoken, presentation)
- Experience of delivering board-level reports and advice to senior management
- To be able to apply modern financial systems and keep up to date with trends and changing business approaches
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills with the ability to resolve conflicting priorities when dealing with customers' needs
- Strong organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise own workload and that of others in a pressurised environment and to tight deadlines
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to rapidly interpret, concisely explain and act on complex information
- The ability to anticipate change and adapt to new situations and issues to exploit potential opportunities
- 28 days annual leave (including three closure days at Christmas) plus eight bank holidays
- Our generous USS contributory pension scheme (8% employee and 18% employer contribution) is a valuable part of our reward package
- Competitive maternity, adoption and paternity arrangements
- Death-in-service benefit of three times salary
- Several staff schemes including season ticket loans, childcare vouchers, cycle-to-work, eye care, employee assistance
- Opportunity for performance-related pay progression
- IT discounts with selected suppliers
This role will be based in Bristol or Harwell.
Jisc is a geographically-distributed organisation and travel across the UK with occasional overnight stays will be required.
Appointment will be made subject to receipt of satisfactory references and confirmation of right to work.
No agencies please.
Jisc is committed to quality, equality and diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the population.
- Financial Controller
- Financial Reporting