You are invited to apply for the Seasonal Grounds Operative position at Whipsnade Zoo, where you will join a small team responsible for keeping the Zoo grounds clean and tidy, and the site presentable for our visitors.
Seasonal Ground Operative (Full-Time / 6 Months Contract)
Based: Whipsnade, Bedfordshire
Department: Facilities Management
Level: Operative / Attendant
Position Type: Seasonal, Full-Time
Advertised Salary: £7.85 per hour (Inclusive of Weekend Enhancement)
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a leading international conservation, science and education charity. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries around the world and through education and engagement at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
The role of a Seasonal Grounds Operative is to carry out a variety of tasks as assigned by their line manager and may also include site wide grounds maintenance and site wide unskilled horticulture duties. The post holder will also need to demonstrate a high level of customer care to our visitors should they have any queries.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Driving utility vehicles, cars and vans across the site.
- Interacting with visitors by answering questions and promote a high level of customer care.
- Carrying out some regular lifting, as there will be a large amount of manual handling required.
- Carrying out some routine health & safety inspections and recording findings.
- Ensuring that ZSL’s tools and equipment are kept in good order and report any faulty tools or equipment to their line management.
- Assisting, guiding or overseeing some non-ZSL personnel whilst on site - these may include contractors, inspectors or any other personnel that their line management requires.
- Ensuring that waste bins, site signage, picnic and person benches are clean and tidy at all times - this will involve the post holder washing these item.
- Carrying out other duties which are outside of their general duties. These may include assisting other ZSL departments in setting up events or functions.
- Have a full, clean valid driving licence.
- Experience in working within a visitor attraction would be an advantage.
- Be able to communicate in a clear and concise manner especially when addressing management and visitors.
- Be presentable at all times.
- Be able to work a rota which will include weekends and bank holidays.
Please note: Working hours vary depending and can include a 6am, 8am or 9am start. Candidates that do apply must be aware that the position will be physically demanding and will require flexibility with regards to working weekends and bank holidays. Due to the nature of the role the post holder will also need to able to work in a variety of conditions both indoors and outdoors.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Sunday 18th March 2018
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the 'Apply Now' button to be directed to our website where you can complete your application.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities in employment.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
No agencies please.
- Waste Management
- Contractor Liaison
- Grounds Management
- Full Driving Licence