First Utility Group is a challenger energy and broadband provider, operating as a wholly owned subsidiary group of the Shell Petroleum Company Limited (Shell). Currently serving approximately 825,000 homes, the company launched in 2008 to provide an alternative to the incumbent energy providers with lower-priced energy, great customer service and innovative technology. Over the last ten years it has also helped customers waste less energy through the use of innovative technology that gives insight into individual usage and greater control.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey. As we continue to grow our Team and expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re looking for a Gross Margin Manager to join our Finance Team to help us to make that difference.
How the role fits in
This role has responsibility for building and maintaining complex financial models, internal and external reporting, variance analysis to forecasts and industry data across UK Energy and Telco business, other revenue and potential future products. Validating Gross Margin actuals is vital to the on going profitability of First Utility and ensuring that the tariffs that we have marketed are as competitive as can be for our customers.
Managing a team of three responsible for the delivery of gross margin reporting, including production of concise and relevant reports for management and the Exec. Working with the wider business to add depth of understanding to the results, variances to budget and rolling forecast. Identifying risks to the gross margin and driving action to mitigate the risk. Implementing and tracking KPIs to effectively monitor gross margin movement and trends. Designing and embedding internal controls around gross margin to ensure accurate data and reporting. Process improvement is a major element of this role to automate data feeds and processing, whilst improving accuracy and insight. To become a gross margin subject matter expert (SME) within First Utility that can advise, help, train and coach other Finance members as well as the wider business.
The role day to day
- Prepare, review and deliver timely and accurate reporting of the month end gross margin position for the management accounts using an analytical and logical approach to derive clear conclusions and commentary from complex data sets.
- To understand the complex cost structure for the UK Energy market, how best to estimate these costs to ensure minimal variances when these costs are finally billed.
- To understand the numerous building blocks of revenue and the operational processes that underpin these.
- To understand the material areas of estimation within the results and to ensure that there are controlled and monitored.
- Support the monthly gross margin rolling forecasting process by highlighting differences between forecast assumptions, industry trends and actual results.
- Work across the wider business (in particular the Billing, Settlements, Trading and Revenue Assurance teams) to validate the reported positions, capturing reconciliations to alternative data sources, providing explanations for any variances.
- Work with relevant teams across the business to drive new data / systems to develop and enhance / automate the month end gross margin process, ensuring the finance reporting models evolve in line with Business developments.
- Support the monitoring and reporting of KPIs relating to risks within the gross margin, validating the source data underpinning these.
- Reporting to external partners and regulatory bodies.
- Direct and manage the workload of the Gross Margin team, including objective setting and performance appraisal.
- Work with project teams across the business to assist adhoc business projects, sharing end to end process knowledge.
- Work with the financial accounts team to ensure that the financial accounting ledger structure supports gross margin reporting and analysis
- What you’ll need to help you make the best of the role
- An accountancy qualification.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, that can be applied confidently throughout the Business up to Director level.
- Managerial experience leading a professional team
- Experience of complex margin costings, volume and mix.
- Experience of analysing high volumes of data.
- The 'nice to haves’
- Existing knowledge of the utilities industry or
- Experience of working in a fast paced, complex gross margin, high volume data business would be advantageous.
What you’ll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mindset is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
We recently launched First Forward, our online guide to development opportunities with information on available apprenticeships, career pathways and our mentoring scheme; helping our colleagues reach their full potential.
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday.