Position: Genome Analyst
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive & Excellent Benefits Package
At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
AstraZeneca’s Centre for Genomics Research (CGR) is looking for outstanding genome analysts to apply advanced quantitative analyses to identify genetic determinants for disease risk and patient stratification among core therapeutic areas of oncology, respiratory, cardiovascular and metabolic disease.
Genome analysts contribute to the genomic strategies of the CGR in an unprecedented genomic initiative, involving the analysis of up to 2 million genomes. They will also work with leaders in human genomics, designing and implementing novel approaches to analyse large-scale genomics data and to deliver innovative science to genome analytics.
The role includes developing and implementing cutting-edge tools to detect and accurately interpret clinically-relevant genetic variation, including structural variants and variants found among regions of the noncoding genome that are not easily interpreted as conventional exome-based approaches. In this role, genome analysts adopt statistical and population genetic principled methodologies to ensure that CGR is at the forefront of robust variant interpretation, thus facilitating the delivery of novel insights into the biology of disease, the validation of new targets for medicines and the improvement of patient stratification opportunities.
Genome analysts will be part of a dynamic team in CGR’s multidisciplinary genomics research environment comprising of bioinformaticians, computational biologists, genome scientists, software engineers, statistical geneticists, postdoctoral researchers, disease area specialists and clinician experts. They share a collective responsibility in the broader objectives of AstraZeneca’s Genome Initiative.
AstraZeneca is a science-led, global biopharmaceutical company, with a focused portfolio in core therapies. We are committed to improving the health and lives of people across the globe, through our broad research and development platform, and a growing late-stage pipeline. Working in over 100 countries, we have strength in emerging markets, and our medicines are used by millions of patients and clinicians worldwide.
- Coordinating and executing analyses within AstraZeneca’s CGR
- Applying innovative quantitative genomic analyses to large-scale cohort studies to identify clinically relevant disease and response loci
- Deliver novel insights into the biology of disease, validation of new targets for medicines and the improvement of selection of patients for clinical trials
- Intellectual involvement in the design and development of novel algorithms and tools to explore relationships between genetic variation and patient disease and treatment outcomes
- Supporting and refining the analysis framework and best practices for variant interpretation
- Assessing the scientific and technical integrity of algorithms and tools within the analysis pipeline
- Providing detailed reports regarding the study design, analysis approach and research findings
- Maintaining a well-developed knowledge of genomic science and technical advances in the international community
- Leading genomic science input into the drug development process
- Collaborating to apply genomic analysis with discovery and development teams
- Ensuring own work, and work of team, is compliant with Good Laboratory Practice, Safety, Health and Environment standards and all other internal AstraZeneca standards and external regulations
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required:
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Experience quantifying and interpreting the clinical relevance of rare variants
- Familiarity with high performance computing and/or cloud computing
- Programming skills appropriate for large scale genomics analysis
- Familiarity working on genomics studies involving one of AstraZeneca’s core therapeutic areas
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.