If you want a career in Gardening, we can offer you some of the most beautiful outdoor spaces in the UK to work in as well as one of the largest plant collections in Europe.What it's like to work here
Hinton Ampner is an elegant country house with highly distinctive gardens. This elegant country manor and tranquil garden sit so harmoniously within the landscape that one cannot exist without the other. The house was lovingly rebuilt by its last owner, Ralph Dutton, after a catastrophic fire in 1960. Visitors can enjoy the beautifully proportioned rooms which house his exquisite collection of ceramics and art, each window offering undisturbed views to the tranquil countryside beyond.What you'll be doing
As a hands-on Gardener, you’ll assist in making sure that the gardens are maintained to a high standard. You’ll be passionate and enthused and knowledgeable about the varied plants within the garden. This role will include a range of practical horticultural tasks to develop, enhance and conserve the garden and contribute to the delivery of projects. You'll be helping with hard and soft landscaping and general maintenance of the garden, such as mulching, pruning, leaf clearing and weeding. You’ll support with the planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs, herbaceous plants. You’ll be helping to cut the hedges and mow our fine lawns. You’ll also take ownership of specific areas of the garden ensuring the highest standards are maintained and healthy plants are available for our visitors to enjoy.
You’ll also support garden volunteers and help them to make the most of their time here. You’ll be expected to interact with the public on a daily basis, answering the many questions, or help out with gardening workshops, tours and helping set up events when needed.Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you should be able to demonstrate the below:
- Trained as a professional gardener/horticulturalist with a good level of practical experience.
- RHS Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have proven practical gardening/horticulture experience, as well as a strong knowledge of plants
- Confidence to participate in garden activities and events
- Competence with machinery/equipment use and maintenance; including tractors, chainsaws, and pedestrian mowers with accreditation as required for Health and Safety compliance.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
- Practical gardening/horticulture experience
- Competent with machinery/equipment