About the Role
Innovation IT is looking to permanently employ a full-stack developer lead. The candidate will be responsible for architecting, design, development, implementation and release of software solutions provided to Innovation IT’s clients. The ideal candidate will consider themselves an experienced professional, who develops and modifies software and databases independently as well as designs, codes, performs benchmark testing, troubleshooting, debugging, documentation of programmes and able to perform routine system and database maintenance. Be able to implement large development projects involving multiple work streams, technically leading and working closely with clients, suppliers and team members across different levels of an organisation. They should ideally be a proactive and creative person, who will be comfortable offering new ideas to improve applications and related operational processes, be adaptable and willing to learn new skills.
The candidate will have 6 to 15 years’ of experience in software and database design and development with a good appreciation of current and up and coming technologies. They should be able to contribute to the organisation immediately on engagement and are expected to be flexible in a fast-changing environment, friendly, approachable and have an attitude to support the mission, vision and values of the organisation.
This post will report to a programme manager/project lead and work with the business analyst while leading and mentoring team members. He or she is expected to be able to work collaboratively with colleagues not only across the organisation but also with Innovation IT’s suppliers and clients.
Overall responsibility is to technically lead and be actively involved in the end to end design and development activities. Main tasks will include (but not restricted to):
- Understand Innovation IT client business processes and identify how Innovation IT client enterprise systems function and integrate with other systems to improve workflow, productivity and profitability.
- Participate in technical scoping and planning of a work stream or project, write detailed level technical design documentation aligned to the required functionality.
- Estimate development effort.
- Help implement and deploy quality standards and operational procedures.
- Liaise with technology partners/suppliers, commensurate with the business requirements.
- Assist in the supervision of trainees, interns and volunteers, if applicable.
- Prioritise tasks in agreement with the client’s business objectives.
- Provide regular status and activity reports.
- Continual improvement of software development approaches and processes.
- Research and identify development opportunities through user interaction, technological advancements or individual innovation.
- Document and present technical development opportunities to senior management.
- Detailed design of applications and databases.
- Develop new modules, enhancements to existing modules, bug fixes to existing modules, performance enhancements, and other internal development tasks.
- Document test strategies ensuring that required functionality can be easily translated into test scripts.
- Unit, integration, and functionality testing.
- Provide support to internal and external users of all systems within agreed deadlines.
- Technically lead the development activities and ensure a smooth delivery of service to users.
Skills & Experience
The candidate must be able to show evidence of skills in as many of the following areas:
As a Technical Lead
- Ability to listen and interpret user needs, understand problems, translate and communicate those to a technical perspective (verbal and written).
- Ability to develop a front and back end application architecture including database design and implementation.
- Appropriate software development methodology/approach such as Agile.
- A comprehensive understanding of object oriented programming techniques.
- Hands on experience of designing and coding in medium or large scale software programming and database projects.
- Problem solving and diagnosing faults.
- An innovative and creative mindset to drive the development of future systems.
- The ability to be a self-starter but also an effective team member.
- Confidently work with suppliers, partners, customers and internal staff and management.
- Ability to train users.
- TFS or similar
- Visual Studio
- ASP.NET Web Forms
- WebAPI 2/3
- ASP.NET 5, MVC5 or MVC6
- Front-end design and development tools, for example Kendo UI or similar
- HTML, CSS including HTML5 and CSS3
- Classic ASP
- MS SQL server (2008, 2008 R2, 2012 and later) database design and implementation
- Client side frameworks such as AngularJS, NodeJS, Backbone or Knockout
- Understanding of Web Services (REST, ASMX)
- Entity Framework
- Azure or Amazon platform development
- A good appreciation of LAMP technologies
- Exposure to various performance and memory optimisation tools/processes
- Use of testing frameworks and continuous integration testing.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Collaborative, CRM and social media software environments.
- Exposure to the Facilities Management or Waste Management industry.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
- A degree or equivalent in a computer science or other relevant subject.
- A post-graduate qualification in a relevant subject.
- Industry certifications are desirable for:
- Microsoft’s Server and Network Professional, Desktop Support Professional, Applications and Office Professional
- MSP, Prince2, ITIL, etc.
- A valid driving licence.
Location and Travel
The post will be based at Innovation IT’s Edinburgh office. Home based working will also be considered, with visits to the office on an as and when required basis. International travel may be required from time to time. This can be discussed in more detail with the successful candidate.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job