In this newly created position, reporting to the Head of Operations (Estates), the job-holder will manage the Front of House. As the first person seen when arriving at the School, the post holder will be professional, welcoming and organised and have a good knowledge of activities going on in the School.
The post holder is responsible for:
- Managing an efficient and effective Front of House service including managing the switchboard, photocopiers and photocopying, postal and franking services, and ensuring that the front of house is clean and tidy.
- Implementing Front of House security and safeguarding procedures, including the access control systems, the safe management of road crossings and vehicle entry and exit
- Supporting School events, playing a lead front facing role
- Line managing the Security Officer and playing a key role in the Estates management team.
About the King Alfred School
The King Alfred School (the School) is a popular, co-educational independent school located in North London for children aged 4 to 18. Established in 1898 as a reaction to the rote learning of Victorian teaching, KAS provides a rounded education using proven teaching methods in an environment free from unnecessary pressures. KAS aims to give its pupils confidence, self-discipline and curiosity so that they leave school able to function well in society, with a wide range of knowledge and awareness of social issues.
With only 650 children, many of whom are children of Old Alfredians, and a village green setting next to Hampstead Heath, KAS has a community feeling. It is owned and run by the King Alfred School Society (the Society) which also hosts conferences and carries out research, contributing to the latest educational thinking.
The School is located on two sites either side of a busy road.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
Manage the Front of House service
Serve as the main point of contact at the front of house providing a warm welcome, offering refreshments, giving information on health, safety and welfare and liaising with staff members
- Professionally manage the switchboard, answering/dealing with calls as appropriate, keep up-to-date internal telephone lists and filter calls, as appropriate
- Receive, store, distribute and log deliveries
- Oversee the school photocopiers, ensuring that supplies are up-to-date and repairs are dealt with promptly
- Photocopy, laminate and bind documents for staff, as required.
Implement security and safeguarding procedures
Ensure that all those who enter the School are appropriately logged and checked, that young children cross the busy road safely and that the front of house is clean and tidy.
- Sign in visitors and contractors to the school using the InVentry sign-in system, ensuring that appropriate checks have been carried out, and issuing them with a security/ID pass, collecting and erasing data in line with GDPR
- Oversee the effective use of the school student and staff biometric access system
- Ensure safe access and egress of vehicles, arrange visitor and contractor parking, and keep the front of house clean and tidy
- Act as a Fire Marshall in the event of an emergency and be a qualified school first aider (training will be provided)
- Ensure that children crossing the road from one site to another do so quickly and safely.
Play a lead front facing role in School events:
Contribute to the smooth running of events.
- Welcome visitors during open days, parent evenings and other KAS and KASS events, checking identity and whether or not they are ticket-holders
- Support the teaching and other staff to communicate the event and ensure that visitors know where to go and have information on both the event and safety and security procedures
- Coordinate special deliveries for events.
Line Manage the security officer and play a key role in the estates management team
Provide leadership and direction to the Front of House and contribute to the overall management of the estates team.
- Line manage the security officer, and take part in regular meetings of the estate’s management team
- Continually seek opportunities to improve systems and processes
- Support one-off special projects and carry out other tasks in areas related to the role, as required.
The post-holder should be warm, friendly and efficient and have:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, polite, calm, outward going, and able to quickly recognise and relate to individuals including students of all ages
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of MS Office suite
- A proactive and flexible approach with a can-do attitude.
Hours of work
The post-holder will work term time only from 8:00-16:00pm with a 30-minute paid lunch break. From time to time there will be opportunities for overtime.
Closing date for applications: 2nd September 2019 at 9am
To apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter to the email address below.
For further details about this role, or if you would like a tour of the school, please contact Zah Rasul, Head of Operations (Estates) at the same email address above from 1 August 2019.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Microsoft Publisher
- Organisational Skills
- MS Office
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'