Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team and expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Warwick, Coventry, London, Krakow and Hamburg.
We’re looking for an Senior software engineer to join our Business technology group Team to help us continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
This is a key role within one of our front end web teams building customer facing micro applications, that together form our customer's online account. Projects cut across a wide range of areas, including:
- Customer acquisitions
- Self serve initiatives
- Digitising manual processes bringing them online
- New business opportunities
You will be working in a highly agile company that continues to encourage DevOps principles and practices to make the software delivery process more efficient, reliable and able to react to the changing demands of a dynamic fast growing business.
We currently use Lean but this should not limit candidates who have experience of Scrum, XP, DSDM or other recognised agile frameworks. Above all we are an innovative organisation, so we are looking for a passion for technology and a considered approach to software development. You will be expected to constantly try to innovate, enhance and improve your working environment, collaborating and sharing your learnings with the wider team.
The role day to day
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, developers, architects, UX specialists and cross platform testers to deliver innovative software solutions with a key focus on customer experience
- Produce high quality and efficient software that successfully meets the requirements specified
- As a member of our lean development team take an active part in planning, journey/story mapping, retrospectives and daily stand ups
- Participate in code reviews and take accountability for any actions arising from them
- Promote software craftsmanship best practices
What you'll need to help you make the best of the role
- Proven experience in delivering outstanding consumer experience through web based applications
- HTML5 and associated API’s
- React (or other front-end MVC frameworks)
- ES6 and related ES5 compilers i.e. Babel
- CSS and SASS pre-processor
- Responsive, mobile first web design as an approach
- UI/UX development experience
- Node.js development
- A solid understanding of Agile methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of colleagues
The ' Nice to haves '
- Redux (or other application state framework)
- Webpack, browserify (or any front end packaging frameworks)
- Grunt, Gulp, NPM
- Automated testing frameworks
- Exposure to Docker
- Experience of developing RESTful webservices / microservices
- Experience of developing within a multi-tier system
- Experience of developing within an SOA environment
- A good eye for design and/or UX would be considered an advantage
- Jenkins or any other CI systems
What you'll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday.
So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it’s important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.