Formulation Scientist / Chemist - Physical Chemistry
Smithson Gray are recruiting for a Formulation Scientist - Physical Chemistry for our client based in Sandwich, Kent. The client is a leading contract research organisation which provides services across pharmaceutical and Biotechnology clients.
This is an exciting new role and is working alongside the clients in the design, development and characterization of formulations. We are looking for applicants with both liquid dose (oral or parenteral) and solid dosage (intermediate and modified release) to establish drug products of appropriate quality.
The role is based at there client facility and will involve the following tasks:
- Provide physical chemistry support utilizing chemical characterization techniques solubility, intrinsic dissolution rates, pKa, rates of degradation, equilibria and kinetics, salt and polymorph properties, salt selection and the Born Haber cycle analyzing reaction energies.
- Utilize basic physical chemistry and analytical techniques PXRD, DSC, simple crystallinity measurement and HPLC. Additionally, understanding of ternary phase diagrams and computational methods which provide the foundation of formulation design.
- To design and undertake high quality scientific experimentation to further the formulation and process development of dosage forms for novel drug candidates utilizing analytical / characterization activities to gain relevant data and drive formulation decisions.
- To design and interpret biorelevant dissolution studies in relation to pharmacokinetic data to predict dosage form performance.
- To interpret scientific data to derive clear conclusions and provide direction for future work and influence the development of quality drug products.
- To communicate effectively to the project team and present data at team meetings and also communicate cross functionally.
- To maintain high quality documentation of all activities in electronic notebooks, reports as required.
- Maintain awareness of technical advances in physical chemistry to develop innovative and novel solutions with sound scientific rationale.
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in pharmaceutical or allied sciences (i.e. first degree in Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Life Sciences) or similar with a minimum of 2 years relevant industrial experience. Alternatively a recent PhD will also be considered with relevant physical chemistry formulation and characterization experience.
- Practical work experience in an operational R&D role in pharmaceutical/drug delivery or allied industries with pre-formulation, formulation of pharmaceutical dosage forms.
- Broad scientific knowledge and technical ability with pre-formulation, formulation and characterization processing and characterization of pharmaceutical dosage forms.
- Good experimentalist with evidence of general competence in a range of laboratory skills/techniques as to support evaluation of pre-formulation, formulation of pharmaceutical dosage forms.
- Experience of computational bio-modelling, using packages such as GastroPlus or Simcyp to predict drug product performance.
- Good awareness/understanding of the requirements for working in a GCP and/or GMP environment, knowledge of drug development and formulation is essential.
- Evidence of experience in autonomous planning, performing and reporting of own experimental programmes, including demonstrated proficiency in background literature searching, interpretation and application of findings.
- Effective oral and written presentation skills, with proficiency in use of standard word processing, presentation and spreadsheet software packages.
To apply please send your cv and salary expectation to Geoff Flavell-Matts at Smithson Gray
- Analytical Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job