The purpose of the role is to support the Head of Financial Control in creating and ensuring effective financial control across the group to ensure it is compliant with relevant law, regulation and to minimise potential misstatement and significant financial loss. You will co-ordinate a dispersed community or number of teams and will support the development by promoting an effective and proportionate Financial Control Framework (FCF), co-ordinating the resolution of actual or potential control issues effectively and ensuring that financial activities are conducted in accordance with the highest professional standards and regulatory frameworks. You will add value through your ability to drive and build others’ commitment to consistent high standards and their ownership of the financial controls in their area; and the extent to which are able to prevent, anticipate or mitigate control risks in a changing commercial and regulatory environment.
Principal Objectives and Responsibilities including the following; other objectives may be assigned
- Support the Head Financial Control in establishing the policy and guidelines related to control of and processes for all accounting transactions in order to be the first line of defence against financial loss and misstatement.
- Develop embed the Financial Control Framework, Delegated Authority Matrix and related policies.
- Operating the DAF,
- Managing the design and implementation of the financial controls and review of those controls, including monitoring all departments/teams as relevant to ensure the adherence to the control policies.
- Taking appropriate opportunities to raise control standards and improve operational effectiveness and consistency across the Group through process, technology and/or people capability development
- Provide training to key stakeholders of new and existing control policies and procedures.
- Work closely with the Technical and Regulatory Accounting team to ensure technical accuracy on newly issued policies.
- Work closely with the Finance Transformation team on joint projects.
- Reporting breaches, near misses, weakness and non-compliance together with remediation plans. Ensure ineffective controls are reported as such and focus given to the remediation plans.
- Performing regular and ad hoc reviews and investigations and ensure the learning is captured and applied to minimise future incidents.
- Continuously reviewing and taking appropriate opportunities to raise control standards and improve operational effectiveness and consistency across the Group through process, technology and/or people capability development.
- Tracking completion of all financial control weakness actions identified by external audit, internal audit, risk and compliance and the Financial Control Review Group.
Skills and Experience required:
- 1st class or 2:1 Honours degree
- A relevant accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA)
- Expertise in management accounting, financial performance reporting and financial control in a group environment. Experience in period end close processes, including the use of systems to facilitate the reporting process;
- Knowledge of and experience in the application of the principles of internal control in a financial reporting environment;
- Experience of improving processes, procedures and controls within a finance function
- Relevant finance experience gained within the insurance industry is preferable
- IFRS knowledge and experience
- A good awareness of insurance (particularly brokerage) business with a commercial outlook is desirable.
- A proven ability of developing and maintaining relationships both within finance and the wider business
- Strong customer and delivery focus, meeting and exceeding customer expectations
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability and desire to learn new skills and to pick up technical and business challenges quickly.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills and ability to solve problems;
- Self-motivated, self-starter with a drive to improve processes
- Receptive to and embraces change.
- Demonstrable ability to prioritise, multi task and meet deadlines;
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
Please apply online
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job