- The Financial Accounting team take responsibility for the running of the company’s financial accounting & property accounting function, including statutory reporting, balance sheet reconciliations, store cost accounting, tax & treasury functions (including corporation tax, VAT, intrastat and day-to-day cash reporting), fixed asset additions, and analysis of key control accounts.
- To ensure the timely and accurate completion of the month end activities to a high standard, including line management of two Financial Accounting Assistants.
- The job holder will be involved in the implementation of the new leasing standard, IFRS 16, as well as various other projects, including supporting the Financial Accounting team
- To work with the Financial Accounting Manager and the rest of the finance team to ensure that key aspects of the company’s financial accounting processes are appropriately administered and information is available in a timely fashion.
- Close off the company’s ledgers within agreed timescales and ensure that all key balance sheet control accounts have been reconciled and approved on a monthly basis.
- Look to drive improvements where possible to increase the reliability and robustness of controls and reconciliations.
- Ensure robust financial processes exist to support the integrity of reporting and ultimately safeguard the company against loss (e.g. balance sheet recs, bank recs, etc.) and that regulatory processes are complied with (HMRC, Companies Act, etc.).
- Leadership of a team of 2 Financial Accounting Assistants ensuring that appropriate discussions are taking place across the team in terms of individual performance ("the what"), developments needs/opportunities, and appropriate behaviours ("the how").
- Wherever possible, strive to develop colleagues and (in conjunction with Financial Accounting Manager / Head of Finance) offer opportunities for career progression, subject to their wants/needs.
- Communication with other departments who either feed information to the accounts or utilise information generated (for example property for fixed assets).
Financial / Commercials
- Lead the property accounting team to ensure accurate accounting for rents, rates and other store property related costs.
- Assist other members of the team in monthly submission of intrastat returns for EU purchases, quarterly submission of the Group VAT return, analysis of daily cash position and likely short term requirements (including loan facility, compliance certificate, facility renewal, etc.), reconciliation of duty information received from HMRC and shipping agents, requirements for foreign currency and forward planning in line with the Group’s treasury policy, etc.
- Work with external auditors to ensure robust group and subsidiary statutory accounts are produced within the required timescales.
- Monthly review of balance sheet control accounts and month end audit file.
- Ensure appropriate processes exist within the finance team to identify key areas of risk and agree with the Financial Accounting Manager appropriate plans to manage those risks. Key areas will include (but are not limited to) segregation of duties within the function, key colleague dependencies are regularly reviewed and identified, bi-annual review of core department controls (supplier setup, bank signatories, expense approvals, capitalisation policy, expenditure by supplier etc.).
- Work with auditors and external parties to ensure that core accounting controls are appropriate and consistently implemented.
- Day to day responsibility for managing the property accounting team and controlling/administering the company’s financial processes, with flexibility to drive improvement.
- Communication with external advisors for advice on various technical matters and implement changes as and when required.
- Day to day responsibility for team of two.
- Freedom to liaise with other departments outside of finance, such as the property department, to obtain all necessary information as required.
- Implementing projects and change initiatives agreed with the Financial Accounting Manager.
- Responsible for the direct management of 2 Financial Accounting Assistants.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Qualified accountant.
- Good working knowledge of accounting systems - general ledger, purchase ledger, sales ledger, etc.
- Good working knowledge of core finance processes - balance sheet reconciliations, tax, VAT, intrastat, FX planning, working capital management and understanding of PLC reporting requirements.
- Good communication skills - both on 1:1 basis and in a group environment.
- Experience of reporting for year-end accounts, including preparation of statutory accounts and notes ("Glossy" version and subsidiary accounts).
- Experience of managing a small team.
- Good working knowledge of broader regulatory environment - corporation tax, PAYE, VAT, statutory accounts, LSE requirements.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Dynamics.
- Advanced Excel skills including the use of formulas, VLOOKUP, Pivot Tables, SUMIF/SUMProduct.
- Experience of MS Word and Outlook.
- Balance Sheet
- Financial Accounting
- Statutory Accounts
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job