Purpose of the post
The post holder will provide a comprehensive finance and support service to People in Action. Working closely with the Finance Manager the role will help to ensure that a high quality, efficient and effective finance and payroll service is delivered.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To be the first point of contact for all day to day finance related queries.
- To work closely with the HR assistant to ensure an efficient payroll service.
- To process on SAGE any contractual changes or statutory payments.
- To ensure that all timesheets and expenses are received and appropriately authorised within deadlines.
- To ensure that the monthly payroll is processed accurately and that all queries are processed and resolved so that payroll is processed to the agreed timescale.
- To maintain knowledge of relevant payroll legislation.
- To notify the Finance Manager of monthly payment requirements for pensions, attachment of earnings etc.
Purchase ledger and sales
- To ensure all supplier invoices, purchase orders, and payments are accurately recorded and coded. Including the preparation of online bacs payment runs ready for the Finance Manager to authorise.
- To be responsible for the raising and processing of customer invoices from authorised requisitions checking that these are recorded accurately and paid promptly.
Support to Finance Manager
- To reconcile all bank accounts and Petty Cash to the finance deadlines, and investigate and resolve any -cleared items for the end of month.
- To support with the preparation of monthly journals for depreciation, prepayments and accruals.
- To assist in the preparation of monthly accounts to trial balance, ensuring control accounts are reconciled for month end cut off.
- To provide information to budget holders on actual departmental income and spend so that monthly budgets can be monitored, variances analysed and potential problems explored.
- To liaise with the bank on aspects such as, cancelling cheques or requesting more information on unknown receipts.
- To administer petty cash and cash floats, ensuring that appropriate forms are completed, receipts/money is returned and accounted for.
- To ensure that all monies and financial information are securely and appropriately stored.
- To assist in the development of effective systems, policies and procedures, ensuring that these are understood, put into practice and implemented across the organisation.
- To assist with audit file preparation and provide the auditors with information as required to allow for prompt production and audit of the statutory accounts.
- Provide support with specific projects when required.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person who has an ambition and drive to get the job done to the best of their ability, along with exceptional administrative skills. This will be a busy role, excellent time management, organisational skills and a keen eye for detail are key.
All the following are ESSTENTIAL criteria
- GCSEs in Maths and English at Grade C or above.
- A relevant accountancy or business qualification or working towards e.g. Degree, AAT qualified or qualified by experience.
- Experienced and competent of Microsoft Office, databases and spreadsheets.
- Willing to undertake training and a commitment to continued professional development.
- Substantial and demonstrable experience of financial administration systems.
- Proven experience of recording accounting transactions and maintaining accounting records.
- Experience of bank and control account reconciliations.
- Experience of ensuring that financial policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Experience of liaising with auditors, banks and other financial institutions.
- Knowledge and experience of using SAGE accounting software.
- Ability to work to targets and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail, highly organised and accurate.
- Confidentiality and GDPR knowledge essential.
- Comfortable working within a team setting and contributing fully.
- Ability to work independently and to tight deadlines in a calm, methodical and accurate manner.
- Excellent communication skills and clear organisational and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to apply discretion in sensitive issues, and maintain confidentiality at all times.
This Job Description is not exhaustive. It will be subject to periodic review and may be amended following discussion between the post-holder and employer.
- Purchase Ledger
- Sage Line
- Sales Ledger
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job