Rail Technical Strategy Delivery Organisation
Post reports to:
Chief Financial Officer
The Helicon, London
The Rail Technical Strategy delivery programme is a major industry programme developing new technology that will transform the industry and provide a very different and enhanced experience for customers. The high-profile programme will deliver significant technology demonstrators and involves working at the cutting edge of technology in rail. The delivery team has been assembled from across the industry and rail supply chain to develop and deliver the programme, and is an exciting and dynamic group of highly motivated and dedicated people.
To operationally manage the Rail Delivery Organisation (RDO) at RSSB ensuring it operates to the highest professional standards of compliance and financial control, embracing a value-for-money culture, addressing the varying needs of the RDO and delivering critical financial systems on time and within budget.
The post holder will be responsible for managing the provision of budgeting and management reporting for the RDO. This includes all management accounts reporting, forecasts and budgeting.
The Finance Manager will support the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and RDO Management Team in shaping the future direction for the RDO and developing and maintaining relationships with key internal and external stakeholders. They will develop, assure and run financial systems and processes, ensuring their fitness for purpose and that they deliver relevant and timely management information.
- Overall responsibility for the operational day-to-day running of the financial management systems of the RDO, maintaining the highest standards of compliance and financial control
- Overall responsibility for ensuring detailed and accurate project accounting within the RDO. Responsible for internal reporting and the provision of required periodic financial reporting to meet the requirements of the RDO and Network Rail.
- Develop and oversee management accounting systems, policies and procedures to ensure that financial information can be reportedappropriately, on a timely basis, and in line with the RDO and Network Rail requirements.
- Providing financial information to support key decisions of the RDO
- Ensure continuous improvement of the RDO financial management.
- Contribute to regular RDO management team meetings and RSSB Finance Team meetings
- Meet regularly with Network Rail finance team to ensure continued delivery of the required level of financial reporting and oversight.
- Ensure effective working relationships with the RDO Commercial and Procurement Lead.
- Financial risk management advice and guidance to the RDO management team.
- Support the preparation of the RSSB Group Accounts for the year-end audit and ensure subsequent audit recommendations are addressed in respect of the RDO.
- Effectively challenge and scrutinise the work of the Work Package Owners to ensure sound robust financial management of work programmes.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key internal and external stakeholders (e.g. Board members, the Audit Committee, the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR), and Network Rail).
- Establishing a culture of prudent financial management across the RDO.
- Overall responsibility for producing period-end management accounts for the RDO including commentaries and variances as required. Monitor departmental actual performance forecast and budget, analysing variances and potential problems and makes recommendations to Heads of Department and Chief Financial Officer/Head of Finance as appropriate to ensure adherence to budget / forecast.
- Responsible for producing budgets, forecasts and long term financial plans for the RDO. Help produce departmental budgets and cash flow projections in line with company reporting requirements.
5. Skills and Experience
- Fully qualified accountant (ACCA/ ACA preferable)
- Substantial financial experience preferable across a range of sectors
- Experience of strategic decision making
- Experience of developing and implementing financial management processes in complex environments
- An ability to interpret/analyse financial figures and convert data into operationally and financially useful guidance for stakeholders
- Experienced business finance partner
- Record of improving systems, controls, processes, reporting
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- A strong communication style with the ability to present financial information relevant to the audience
- Ability to build effective working relationships and gain a high-level of engagement through influencing and negotiating to achieve positive outcomes.
- A natural and credible leadership style with the ability to manage senior stakeholders on cross-company initiatives.
Knowledge of specifying and using multiple finance systems (SAGE, with more detailed knowledge of Microsoft NAV preferable).
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job