The Finance Business Partner is involved in budget-related client management for a number of departments within the Bank, with the aim of establishing the Bank’s overall administrative expenditure budget and monitoring its execution. Clients will include HR, marketing, banking, IT, etc.
The role provides direct support to the Associate Director, Budget in work to develop and present proposals for the overall budget framework for the Bank.
The FBP will contribute to the preparation of specific sections of documents issued to senior management and to the Board such as the three year Strategy Implementation Plan incorporating the annual Budget, monthly management reports and quarterly performance reports to the Board.
The team you will be joining is responsible for establishing the Bank’s administrative expenditure budget and monitoring its execution. This includes assessment of the medium term resource framework and preparation of the budget framework, for discussion with senior management. The key document co-ordinated by the team is the Bank’s three year Strategy Implementation Plan incorporating the annual Budget that is approved by the Board of Directors normally in December each year.
This role requires maintaining a strong and effective working relationship with Managing Directors; team Directors and respective HR Client Managers for the relevant teams. This role also assumes collaborative relationships with other Departments - Controllers, Administrative Services and IT.
- Responsibility for client management for relevant departments with annual budget of over £130 million or over 40% of the overall Budget
- Delegated decision making on staffing related issues for relevant departments or development of proposals for the management decision - 900+ allocated staff positions or over 40% of overall Bank
- Interaction with 30+ teams across the Bank, including front offices - key relationships with Managing Directors, team Directors and Heads of teams as appropriate.
- Main working relationships with other Departments at intermediate or senior level - Human Resources, Controllers, Administrative Services and IT
- Review the input to Monthly Management Reports for the Senior Management and Quarterly Performance Reports for the Board of Directors
- Management of a direct report at Associate level and joint supervision of a shared resource at Analyst level
- Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Accountabilities and responsibilities for this role are to be carried out with a strong degree of independence with limited supervision of the Associate Director, Budget Client Management
- Extensive contribution to development and coordination of the overall annual medium term budget framework and annual Budget proposals
- Proposing or assessing additional resource requirements for the new initiatives or investments in the Bank or respective department for prioritisation within the overall resource requirements envelope
- Active monitoring of business plan and budget execution of respective departments under client management responsibility, reviewing directly with departments as necessary
- Monitoring of staffing costs against agreed cost envelopes and tracking of agreements. Partly or fully delegated decision making on ongoing staffing issues, with escalation of proposed solutions to FSBP management level, as necessary
- Supervising work carried out under the client management responsibility - regular tracking of contingency or provision utilisation, productivity analysis for enhanced efficiency in resource reallocations, on-going staffing and other analysis
- Involved in training of budget holders and Budget Officers within the relevant client management group
- Recruiting, training and managing junior staff to effectively meet objectives of the team
- Skills & Qualifications
- Extensive practical experience in budget management issues
- Extensive experience in partnering with multiple senior stakeholders (MD level and above)
- Qualified accountant/ CFA qualified/ relevant Masters and/ or strong practical experience in Finance
- Strong accounting knowledge and financial background
- Excellent numeric and analytical skills
- Ability to work under high degree of independence, whilst ensuring appropriate checkpoints are in place
- Stakeholder management and strong negotiation skills
- Coaching, mentoring and leadership skills
- Relationship management and strong influencing skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure
- Strong drafting and presentation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English