Purpose: [3 sentences max]
- This new role will take responsibility for all aspects of financial planning (including budgeting), performance reporting, and business analysis/decision support required for the newly acquired business.
- To ensure that appropriate analysis of business performance is available in an accurate and timely fashion and that sufficient information exists to allow key business users to take appropriate action to ensure performance is maintained in line with plans agreed.
- To manage one direct report
Customer / Strategy / Plan
- To be focussed on the key customer groups and the key deliverables - principally timely and accurate financial reporting/analysis to business managers.
- Work with the Financial Planning & Analysis Manager and Head of Finance to deliver a three year financial plan and one year budget, which will help the business to deliver its strategy and goal.
- Provide the business with a clear budgeting process and ensure that final agreed budgets are issued to holders in a timely manner.
- Liaise with key business leaders to generate a mid-year reforecast and escalate any key variances to the original budget.
- Work with the Commercial Director to ensure that appropriate levels of financial analysis and business insight exist and that appropriate action is being taken against those insights. Identify and escalate any issues to driving performance.
- Leadership of one direct report, ensuring that appropriate discussions are taking place in terms of individual performance ("the what"), developments needs/opportunities, and appropriate behaviours ("the how").
- Wherever possible, strive to develop colleagues and (in conjunction with Financial Planning & Analysis Manager / Head of Finance) offer opportunities for career progression, subject to their wants/needs.
- Communication with other departments who either feed information to the accounts or utilise information generated.
Financial / Commercials
- Responsibility for ensuring that the financial performance is well understood across the organisation - appropriate reporting and variances to expectations are available and actionable, commercial insight is generated in a way that colleagues generate learnings and instigate change.
- Ensure that the Financial Planning & Analysis Manager and Head of Finance are well appraised of the business' financial position - performance vs budget and emerging long term trends (e.g. quarterly performance analysis).
- Preparation of information for company presentations - annual conference, Board updates, etc.
- Preparation of month end management accounts and presentation to Financial Planning & Analysis Manager and Head of Finance with analysis of key variances and explanatory commentary.
- Production of month end Board Pack
Risk and process
- Ensure appropriate processes exist both within finance and across the organisation to identify key areas of risk, and agree with the Financial Planning & Analysis Manager appropriate plans to manage those risks.
- Work with auditors and external parties to ensure that core accounting controls are appropriate and consistently implemented.
Decision Making/Freedom to Act:
- Day to day responsibility for managing one direct reported located at the business.
- Liaising with key business leaders and working together to drive business/commercial insight.
- Implementing new financial processes and ways of working as required for the business
Stakeholders [ie key stakeholders / 'customers’ this role has]
- Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
- Rest of finance team
- Head of Finance, Chief Financial Officer and Commercial Director
Dimensions [Budget responsibility in following areas - split by cost, profit, income, customer base etc; planning timeframe; Number of FTE responsible for etc]
- Responsible for 1 FTE
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
- Ideally qualified accountant
- Good working knowledge of accounting systems - general ledger, purchase ledger, sales ledger, bank recs etc
- Good working knowledge of core finance processes - monthly management accounts (including commentary on variances), weekly reporting, budgeting & planning, decision/commercial support.
- Good level of commerciality - be able to participate in commercial/operational discussions with budget holders and prompt debate on key areas of under/over performance.
- Strong communication skills - both on a 1:1 basis and in a group environment.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Dynamics
- Advanced Excel skills including the use of formulas, VLOOKUP, pivot tables etc.
- Experience of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Outlook.
- Good working knowledge of other business areas e.g. commercial, operational and supply chain.
- Business Performance
- Financial Performance
- Performance Reporting