Here at First Utility we want to make a difference. We are changing the face of the energy industry by
campaigning for more transparency, better communication and a speedier switching process. Through
pioneering technology and sharing our knowledge, we put our customers firmly in control of their energy, so
they can spend less on what they need and more on what they want.
We are proud to deliver award winning service and as we continue to challenge the industry, our talented
people are integral to our journey; our people make that difference. As we continue to grow our Team and
expand our service offering, we now have office locations in Coventry, London, Krakow and
We are now looking for a Business Partner (Projects & Business Technology Group) to help us
continue to make that difference.
How the role fits in
A role has arisen for an experienced qualified Accountant to join our UK Finance team as Business Partner. Reporting to the Business Partnering Manager this is an exciting and high-profile role in a fast moving complex business which has a turnover approaching £1bn.
This role will primarily Business Partner senior stakeholders in our Project Management Office ("PMO") and
Business Technology functions, in addition to working closely with Customer Operations and Finance to support the Project Governance process. This includes being subject matter expert, ongoing project tracking and post-implementation review.
The role day to day
Working closely with key stakeholders across the business (including PMO, Customer Operations, BTG
etc) to optimise the returns on our project investments.
Supporting the Project Governance process:
- Ensuring that Business Cases are signed off in line with delegated authorities
- Working with Project sponsors to create business cases for proposed change
- Validating benefits to ensure that we maximise the return
- Explaining spend to stakeholders and updating the business cases through their life (spend and benefits).
- Working with project sponsors and key stakeholders to ensure that project benefits are delivered, tracked and maximised
Act as Finance Subject Matter Expert for Projects including:
- Own and develop the Business Case Model used to sign off projects
- Working with the PMO to identify and share best practice in order to optimise the returns from our investments (e.g. benefit identification and KPI tracking)
- Training finance colleagues and the business
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to improve project reporting
- Leading the budget and rolling forecasting process for Projects & BTG Reporting
- Working in conjunction with the Management Accounts team to deliver robust monthly financials and insightful commentary for all relevant Opex and Capex cost lines
- Reviewing monthly financials with business stakeholders
- Provide financial support to PMO & BTG stakeholders as required
- Proactively challenge and identify opportunities to drive efficiencies
You will also deputise for the Business Partnering Manager as required
What you'll need to help make the best of the role
- Qualified Accountant with several years post qualification experience
- Exceptional modelling and analytical skills
- Experience implementing new processes or delivering value added change
- Influencing skills and relationship building skills
- Customer Focus (external and internal)
- Enjoy the challenges that come with working in a customer focused, fast paced and high growth business
- Experience financially supporting a Project Governance process including producing Business Cases, Tracking project benefits, running Post Implementation reviews etc
The 'nice to haves'
- Experience within a UK Energy business
What you'll get in return
Our people are our business, so our mind-set is people first. Spending much of your time at work, we know it’s not just about a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary - the work space, relaxation areas and coffee matter too!
First Perks is our benefits portal where you can access BUPA Private Healthcare, childcare vouchers, pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, our staff tariffs and exclusive savings and discounts from nearly 900 retailers - including holiday deals to help you make the best of your 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays). First Perks features discounts for many of the biggest brands - from Lastminute.com to Amazon, from John Lewis to Tesco; there is something for everyone.
We’re proud to support our charity partner the NSPCC and offer regular fundraising events from bake-offs to London Marathon entries. Our teams enjoy quarterly socials, some more adventurous than others! One tradition we’ve held on to as we’ve grown is "Fruity Friday" - heaps of free fresh fruit for all, every Friday.
So if you like the fast pace of an evolving business, feel it’s important to reach your full potential and enjoy your time at work, then a career with us could be your next move.
- Finance Department
- Financial Modeling
- Business Partner Support