Mencap is the leading voice of learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We’ll ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it’s never 'just a job’.
Support workers have a massive impact on the lives of the people they support. You can help us to make a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability here and now.
That means listening to them, understanding what they like, and supporting them to make decisions and achieve the things they want to achieve.
In Hexham you will be supporting 3 ladies to live independent and active lives. These ladies have a wide range of support needs and interests between them which will make your role varied and interesting. You will be actively involved in promoting and encouraging them to make their own choices in everything they do. This will include finances, healthy living, leisure activities which will involve swimming, walking and theatre trips etc.
We are looking for two females who not only are passionate about supporting people with a learning disability, but who also share an interest in swimming, cooking, having fun and enjoying promoting a healthy lifestyle. This post would also suit someone living in the local area due to the split shift pattern.
Shifts are on a rota basis and include weekends. Shifts are various lengths and will also include split shift working where you will also be required to work on your own. The post can be 16hrs to 37.5hrs per week - this can be discussed at interview. You will have your rota approx. 4 weeks in advance.
What can you bring to the role?
- Positive and confident attitude
- Sense of humour
- Ability to work as part of a team and lone work
- Strong value base
- Good local knowledge
- Support on breaks away and holidays
What you will be supporting with?
- Maintaining and looking after their home
- Developing new hobbies
- Formulating budget plans
- Healthy living
- Planning meals, shopping involvement and cooking meals
- Supporting with health appointments and medication administration
- Maintaining and developing new relationships
- Support to maintain relationships with actively involved family members
You will find it extremely rewarding to see the people we support achieve goals, overcome challenges and enjoy their lives by accessing the social activities and day trips they choose.
You do not need to have a driving licence or experience in this sector to apply, but you will need to share our Mencap values and be a caring, positive and trustworthy.
This post requires applicants to undertake personal care duties and therefore is only applicable for female applicants.
This post is exempt under the Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, Part 1
Job Ref: 9854
We believe that all employees are amazing and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Here are just some of the ways we would value and invest in you.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme*
- Amazing Induction from day 1
- Access to award winning training and development
- Service related sick pay when 6-month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings*
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme*
- Tax free child care vouchers via salary sacrifice scheme for working parents
- Loans for bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
*T&C's apply based on contract
- Personal Care
- Local Community
- Medication Administration
- Support Workers
- Supporting People
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job