Leading Transportation Manufacturer requires Exterior CAD Designer to produce designs for new components and mouldings; following these through from initial concept / specification to production and fitment onto the final manufacturing product.
Following these through accurate model & drawing data so that internal & external supply chains can manufacture parts that will be fundamental to the assembly of craft and using the most cost effective and safe manner benefiting the production and assembly of parts.
- Reporting to a Senior Designer you will work with a team of CAD Designers / engineers working on continuous improvement of the current fleet and development of new manufacturing models.
- Main role will be to design exterior fixtures and fittings and see these through from concept to production drawings and fitment to the final manufacturing product.
RESPONSIBILITIES / TASKS
- Create detail designs that are fit for purpose. Ensure that they meet the companies design values, manufacturing procedures alongside both internal and ISO / CE standards
- Own the design of each component or area from concept to production as delegated by the Senior Designer. Completion of each individual project must be on time and within budget.
- Ensure design briefs and specifications are fully understood and assist in the creation of new specifications for external suppliers to work to.
- Create detailed manufacturing drawings and work instructions for both internal and external suppliers, ensuring design intent is realised in an efficient and effective manner.
- Ensure new parts confirm to design standards, updating and creating new design standards as and when required to ensure they are relevant to the latest styling and manufacturing techniques.
- Maintain and up-issue existing drawings ensuring they are released through the relevant Teamcenter process’.
- Liaise with design, engineering, compliance and production teams to identify and overcome design and manufacturing problems, holding meetings where needed to facilitate this.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of the BOM (bill of materials) for new projects, ensuring both standard parts and options are set up correctly with a suitable LTO.
- Support the build of new development models with information flow and advice at all stages of build from initial lay up to despatch.
- Manage your time, work to delivery dates that you participate in creating with your manager
- Report your progress to management
- Acting as an Ambassador for the Company, operating with integrity and drive appropriate to the Company’s values, to as a market leader
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to the role.
- Adherence to the development schedule (DEVSUMM)
- Perceived quality and success of the product, in the wider market
- Designs developed, meeting both R&D and Production budgets
- Interface with all areas of the business, including the wider development team, feeder factories, assembly, fit out, engineering, quality, sales & marketing etc.
- Outside suppliers, partner companies and support agents.
- Good working knowledge of Parametric CAD software for both solid and surface modelling techniques.
- (Preferably Siemens NX although Solidworks, Creo, Pro Engineer, CATIA or similar will be accepted in lieu.)
- Working knowledge of MS Office is required.
- A broad knowledge of material properties and production techniques for Composites, Metals, Glass, Plastics, Timbers etc.
- Able to visualise product build and deal with large assemblies
- Strong communication skills whether written, verbal or through sketches
- Confidence to propose new ideas and present these to the wider team
- Ability to work independently whilst under pressure
- A 'can do’ attitude combined with good team working skills and a drive to progress within the department
- Ability to travel between sites, own transport would be an advantage.