Estates Works Manager - Project Surveyor
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
Salary: £37,789 - £41,988 dependent upon qualifications and experience
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
STFC holds the Investor in People Gold accreditation and offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
The STFC Estates and Facilities Management department is responsible for the development of our three principal campuses; the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (RAL) in Oxfordshire, the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and The Royal Observatory, Edinburgh, as well as some other scientific sites and facilities.
About The Role
We now have an exciting new opportunity for an Estates Works Manager - Project Surveyor to join the Estates and Facilities Management team and proactively support the Estates remit to deliver flexible, customer focused and efficient services. The role actively line manages and supports a small team of Project Surveyors, Maintenance Clerks of Works, a Building Surveyor and in-house tradesmen.
You will be responsible for the successful delivery of Estates and Science Programme funded minor new works projects and core fabric planned and reactive maintenance activities, to programme and within allocated budgets. The role is instrumental in developing good working relationships with the supply chain and ensuring high levels of quality, craftsmanship and value for money from it.
Further responsibilities include:
- engagement and consultation with estates management client base, stakeholders and connected third parties regarding minor projects and measured term contracts
- initial and on-going liaison with the client to interpret, define and track project requirements, scope and cost for its duration
- fostering and encouraging a customer focused project delivery team through personal example, leadership and employing best industry practices
- validation of contractors’ estimates, preparation of specifications and tender documents relating to minor projects and maintenance activities under measured term contracts
- instructing, implementing and managing projects using NEC3 TSC and NEC3 ECC processes and protocols
- planning of works and supervision of contractors to ensure minimal impact to the scientific programme, including works coordination, integration, safety and quality assurance
- ensuring compliance with all relevant national and local safety regulations and protocols, including the management and control of asbestos containing materials
- support senior estates management with the strategic planning of rolling building element and grounds refurbishment programmes
- project management of various projects incorporating all building disciplines.
You will be educated with a formal building qualification, to a minimum standard of HND (Level 5) or equivalent. You should also have attained a professional construction accreditation (RICS or equivalent). It is desirable that you would have recognised health and safety, project management or management qualifications and an industry CSCS Card.
You must have extensive experience and knowledge of the construction industry and project management/works planning. Demonstrable team management and supervisory experience is essential, with contractor management skills.
Also essential is proven involvement with estimating and cost management. You should be able to undertake condition surveys and dilapidation reports and have recent experience of applying CDM, quality systems and safety. It is desirable that you have experience with the practical application of NEC3 TSC, NEC3 ECC and use of AutoCAD and BIM.
Detailed knowledge of current construction working practices and protocols is required and knowledge of procurement is desirable. You should have excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to motivate and manage contractors. You should be able to talk about the delivery of complex construction schemes to demonstrate industry experience and competence. It is essential that you have people and performance experience with excellent interpersonal and team working skills.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
The closing date for applications is 17th April 2018 with interviews scheduled for 1st May 2018.