Location: County Hall, Chelmsford
Hours: Full time, 37 per week
Salary: £50,000 to £61,000 per annum
Essex is committed to enabling inclusive economic growth, helping people get the best start and age well, helping create great places to grow up, live and work and transforming the Council to achieve more with less.
The Environment Manager provides strategic leadership for the Environment team, working closely with internal and external partners and sustaining funding in support of environmental activities in Essex. The role delivers the green infrastructure agenda and champions this with partners and key stakeholders.
Managing a small team which deliver the various projects including enhancing the longest coastline in England, delivering initiatives/regeneration to coastal communities, providing leadership around the low carbon agenda and climate change mitigation and adaptation agenda. This role will also bring forward initiatives to reduce the Council's carbon footprint and support sustainable development.
- Operational planning and performance review to maintain exceptional service delivery and ensures the political objectives and priorities of the council are met.
- Working collaboratively within and across functions to and thinking commercially support the delivery of best possible outcomes for our customers on a financially sustainable basis.
- Maintain and nurture collaborative relationships with other teams in the function and external organisations that support the delivery of annual plans.
- Implementing changes and continually evaluating service to improve the area of work, while maintaining the highest possible levels of service quality are continually delivered.
- Managing complex issues and resources to meet the needs of customers and deliver the best possible outcomes.
- Effective utilisation of digital technologies and innovation across the function.
- Equality and diversity is celebrated and considered as part of all decisions taken.
- Using professional expertise to translate goals and plans into ways of working that comply with relevant legislation and statutory requirements and manages a level of appropriate risk.
- Deliver exemplar customer interactions to individuals and communities which support strong relationships and a reputation for achieving outcomes and resolving issues.
- Deliver various existing environment projects and activities, seeking new funding opportunities within the emerging programmes in collaboration with the Commercial and Project Development Officers.
- Working in collaboration with the Environment Agency, other government bodies and stakeholders to protect and enhance the longest coastline in England. Delivering initiatives/regeneration to coastal communities and enterprises both private and public.
- Leads the low carbon agenda and climate change mitigation and adaptation, bringing forward initiatives to reduce the Councils carbon footprint and support sustainable development.
- Lead on the Council's obligations to deliver the Governments Carbon reduction targets and objectives, ensuring that adequate resources are available to complete all projects within required timescales.
- Develop and deliver high-level policies and plans for sustainable development, directly impacting on the long term future and quality of life for all Essex residents; representing the Council to influence and shape regional and national policy.
- Responsible for managing large external consultancy contracts.
- Deliver advice and guidance on Environmental matters to elected Members, relevant Committees, and Member's Briefing Panels and to the public.
- Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree level education in a related subject, or equivalent experience.
- Evidence of continuing professional development and Chartered membership of a recognised body.
- Significant experience in the field of environmental issues.
- Experience of leading diverse teams of people to achieve strategic objectives.
- Proven track record of managing budgets.
- Experience and knowledge of UK environmental funding programmes
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to a wide range of audiences, at formal and informal level.
- Ability to build strategic partnerships, working on the formulation of joint plans and strategies, identifying synergies and developing and implementing work programmes which achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job