We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
As Engineering Team Manager you will be required to lead a team of highways and pavement engineers who contribute to the Region's forward programme planning process by providing technical expertise in the identification of asset specific needs and early solutions, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards; the role may be required to work unsociable hours.
Day to Day:
* Act as the Region's focal point for the management of highways asset requirements; to lead and coordinate the identification and evaluation of asset needs in the region.
* Ensure that regional forward programmes, capital investment and maintenance plans reflect asset needs and considerations, and are developed in a way that is compliant with the relevant technical policies and standards.
* Prepare, undertake and manage the annual programme of highways assets monitoring and Principal Inspections, including ensuring the maintenance of the relevant asset information database(s).
* Oversee the reactive management and investigations of incidents affecting the condition of the assets in scope.
* To commission related studies and schemes, working collaboratively with wider Planning & Development and Highways England colleagues/
* Lead the development of early solutions and designs, including the compiling of relevant documents, evidence and options for Value Management, taking into account new techniques, materials, buildability, and costs.
* Continuously identify opportunities for efficiencies, working closely with internal and external stakeholders to implement ideas.
* Extensive experience of developing asset management plans
* Team management
* Good commercial and financial acumen, including budget management
* Asset management decision making (capital investment, lifecycle costs, value optimisation, service & availability optimisation, social & economic knowledge)
* Civil Engineering Degree or equivalent or HND with relevant experience.
* Membership of IEE or IEEE
* A Chartered Engineer with appropriate experience, or an Incorporated Engineer/near Chartered Engineer with extensive relevant experience
* Expert knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
* Investment appraisal and optimisation techniques; value-for-money criteria and financial evaluation methods
* Knowledge of sustainability principles and the application of sustainable development
* Stakeholder management
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/