HMP Winchester are looking for a qualified and experience Combustion Engineer to join there expanding team.
Your new role
To ensure the site is maintained to the agreed standard with the undertaking of planned and reactive service and maintenance, breakdown and fault finding and repair tasks on a range of plumbing, heating, and water supply / services throughout the estate. To undertake survey inspections for quality control purposes including in confined spaces and at height, recording all work and completing associated registers/logs. The regular supervision of prisoners undertaking quality control over prisoner work as agreed within the Service Specification.
- Take accountability for and act as the Gas Safe appointed person if required
- Ensure the sites gas fired appliances and associated systems are safe to operate, maintained to statutory and manufacturers requirements
- Ensure that any immediately dangerous gas appliances are identified and shut off in accordance with the gas industry unsafe situations procedure in order to minimise risk to staff and the establishment, identifying the problem and taking remedial action as required
- Escalating unsafe gas situations through the technical team or directly to the industry regulator when appropriate
- Take accountability for reactive maintenance within the prison estate in line with the sites long term goals and objectives
- Complete plumbing and heating installations including testing, and commissioning in adherence with statutory regulations, industry best practice and Health and Safety procedures
- Supervise prisoners throughout the day and during training and to undertake quality control over prisoner work as agreed within the Service Specification
- To undertake general maintenance tasks and survey inspections in areas including confined spaces and at height, recording all work and completing associated registers/logs
- Undertake incidental and emergency or urgent tasks and assignments as per Service Specification, in a safe manner
- Actively contribute to the effective management of the tool inventory and maintain security standards within the designated work area
- To take accountability for ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation and company policy including undertaking the role of Fire Warden and/or First Aider as required
What you'll need to succeed
All successful applicants are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post. You will be subject to 6 months' probation and all staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the Prison Service consider to be racist.
- Plumber qualified to C&G 6035 (Plumbing), C&G 6189 (Plumbing and heating) and NVQ level 3 in Plumbing or equivalent.
- CCN1 - Core domestic gas safety and relevant domestic appliance units
- COCN1 - Core commercial gas safety certificate and relevant commercial units (Desirable)
- Two years' experience working in a role as a heating engineer, a combustion engineer or equivalent
- Must be familiar with and able to work to Water Supply Regulation and Control of Legionella L8 requirements
- Must be familiar with and able to work to Gas safe (installation and use) regulations 1998 and associated industry Standards
- Experience of working with commercial catering gas appliances would be beneficial
- Experience of working with HTHW & Steam systems would be beneficial
- Experience working on commercial or industrial heating and water systems is desirable
- Excellent organisational skills / Time management / Ability to prioritise and organise own workload / able to work to deadlines
- Strong communication skills
- Basic IT skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel and Word
What you'll get in return
- Financial support for professional qualifications
- Holiday - 25 days on appointment plus 8 bank holiday days
- Occupational sick pay - rising up to 13 weeks basic pay with service
- Pension - up to 8% employer contribution
- Death in service benefit
- Season ticket loans
- Charity days - three days paid leave per year to support a recognised charity
- Employee Assistance Program
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'