We are looking for someone who gets involved with the people we support and loves music as much as we do.
You need to be an enthusiastic, positive person to support 4 males of different ages who live in a bungalow in the Askern area of Doncaster , to live a fulfilled and happy lives. You will be part of a positive and supportive team who are motivated by improving the lives of the people we support.
We are working to make our recruitment as person centred as we can. The person specification document attached for this role has been developed with the help of the people who will be supported by the successful applicant. The selection process will use this criterion to match not only skills and experience but also hobbies and interests of applicants with the people being supported. It is likely that the final decision on the success of your application will be decided by the people you will be supporting, and their families.
Could this be you?
What people like and admire about you
• Work in a team as a team member and communicate well with them.
• You like getting involved with activities like listening to all types of music, arts and crafts, reading and we have a keen comic and Doctor who fan.
• Your calm, patient and caring personality to be able to cope with stressful situations.
• You are respectful towards other
• You're always friendly and positive when supporting others
• You can stay calm in difficult situations
• You are self-motivating and good at motivating others when things get hard
• You have a great sense of humour, and can handle a bit of banter
• You are Sociable and like to chat - you pay interest in what others have to say.
• You're happy to support people at times that are best for them and be flexible in your work
• Your desire to include everyone.
• You are willing to talk to family members and professionals which you will be supported with
• You are able to follow the guidance from professionals
• You are willing challenge others in a professional way which you will be supported with/
• You value the people you work with and communicate well with them
• Have good time keeping skills and be able to prioritise urgent tasks
• Your domestic skills and ability to help teach new skills within their home
• You are enthusiastic in supporting people with their hobbies and develop new interests
• You are physically fit and able to push wheelchairs
• Your ability to support with personal care with respect for privacy and dignity
• You are able to drive wheelchair friendly cars
What's important to you
• Helping people to live the life they want to lead.
• Building relationships based on trust, and a genuine interest in other people.
• Supporting people to make the most of a life outside the service. e.g. with family and friends.
• Supporting people to enjoy their free time for example: shopping, local events and walks
• Supporting people to plan and enjoy holidays and new experiences.
• Helping others to look and feel good.
• Acknowledging the contribution of others.
• Helping people to develop their skills
• Someone that understands when I'm feeling frustrated and anxious
• Someone who can support me to explore new places by driving my car
How we will support you:
· A good induction to help get you started.
· Good career development with specialist training.
· Shape Your Future development programme.
· Opportunity to be recognised as part of our 'Top Talent' scheme.
· Part of a great team helping to do some great things for people with a Learning Disability.
· Be part of the Royal Mencap Society.
If you can work in a people orientated role, are a caring person who enjoys enabling people to achieve their life goals and aspirations we would love to hear from you. Experience within the care sector is an advantage but not a necessity as full training will be provided. You will be required to work on a rota basis which will include mornings, evenings, weekends, and also sleep in duties. Waking night shifts may be required, as well as on-call duties.
Attached is a full job description along with one page profiles the service users you will be supporting, have put together.
A Mencap support worker said "I love my job. Being part of people developing and learning new skills gives me a real feeling of achievement."
Vacancy ID: 12432
- support work
- shift work
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job