Location: Seax House, Chelmsford
Salary: Dependant on experience
Temporary, Full Time, 35 Hours per week
ELS is a successful provider of legal services to both ECC and other public bodies. Our vision is to become recognised nationally as the leader in providing legal services to public bodies and be "first for public law".
As part of a specialist Employment Law Team you will work closely with colleagues to ensure the delivery of a high performing, client facing legal service which proactively embraces change.
You will be involved in potentially high profile and ground-breaking employment matters and will advise clients on all aspects of employment law issues in demanding circumstances which will at times have far reaching consequences.
As an experienced employment lawyer you will join a team that prides itself on the provision of high quality advice, information, analysis and interpretation service to clients that underpins effective decision making, meaningful performance management and meets statutory requirements. This is a position where the ability to combine employment law with governance knowledge is a pivotal skill greatly valued by the client.
You will be part of this highly valued service and make a real and demonstrable difference to the delivery of ELS's business and the business of our clients.
The successful candidate should have experience of both contentious and non-contentious employment law work covering all aspects of employment law including dealing with discrimination claims, unfair dismissal, TUPE, restructures and redundancies as well as trade union provisions. Pensions experience is desirable although not essential.
The successful candidate will have a strong academic background and be able to work confidently with senior officers, members and other key stakeholders to establish personal credibility.
You will also contribute to business development activity to further ELS's strategy around trading and shared services and the desire to assist in this growth and development will be essential.
Post holders in the employment team report to the Head of Employment.
Knowledge, skills and experience
* Qualified solicitor or barrister or legal executive with full valid practising certificate and 2 + years post qualification experience. We would expect a lawyer with the given PQE to have gained the level of experience required but this does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE;
* Ability to establish credibility with Directors, senior management and other key stakeholders;
* Knowledge and understanding of providing legal advice in a public sector setting; although previous experience working in the public sector is not essential.
* Ability to handle a full range of employment law matters including attending the Employment Tribunal and Employment Appeal Tribunal;
* Knowledge and understanding of local government provisions is preferable.
* The ability to provide clear advice on complex matters
* The capability to provide advice and guidance to junior colleagues as required.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://dbs-update-service
Please note that Essex County Council has determined that the off-payroll working rules will apply to this assignment and where a worker elects to provide their services through an intermediary (such as a personal services company) then income tax and primary national insurance contributions will be deducted at source from any payments made to the intermediary.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister or legal executive with full valid practising certificate and 2 + years post qualification experience.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job