Applications open: 20/10/2020
Applications close: 20/11/2020
A position is available in the team for an Electrical / Electronics Engineer with experience in modelling and design of dc-dc or dc-ac power converters. The successful candidate will work with fellow engineers on thermal-electric modelling and prototyping of novel components, circuits, topologies, and systems.
A key target is the development of very high current (20-100 kA) power supplies and protection systems for high temperature superconducting (HTS) magnets, including cryogenic components.
This is an exciting opportunity to participate in power electronics developments that push the boundaries of materials and technology!
• Modelling of components with non-linear properties to simulate system steady-state and transient behaviour
• Design and development of analogue, digital circuits, and algorithms for sensing and control of kA-range power converter prototypes
• Produce reports and documentation as technology is developed
• Ensure electrical safety policy is followed and contribute to risk assessments and new safety procedures
• Liaise with manufacturers, contractors and collaborators (e.g. Universities) during the design and development of larger engineering-scale demonstrators
• Work in a cross-functional team to deliver new technologies within tight timescales
• Training will be given in areas to support the requirements of the role
• The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas
• Experience in embedded programming for real time control with microcontrollers or FPGAs
• Experience in analogue electronics from design and simulation to troubleshooting and verification • Familiarity with switched mode power supplies and different topologies
• Practical experience at an appropriate level in an industrial manufacturing or technology prototyping environment
• Skilled in using Simulink/Simscape™ and/or SPICE (or equivalent)
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Highly motivated, able to work in a dynamic environment
Desirable selection criteria
• Skills in using Matlab®, Simulink®/Simscape™, or Modelica
• Familiarity with environmental testing, e.g. thermal cycling
• Experience with LabView, ideally using National Instruments™ hardware
• Skills in finite element analysis
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
• Company pension scheme
• Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years’ service
• Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
• Private medical insurance after 3 months service
• Cycle to work scheme
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
Not quite what you are looking for? Try these similar searches
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'