Electrical Design & Project Engineer - LV Power Distribution
STFC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Oxfordshire
£33,782 - £37,459 (dependent on skills and experience and inclusive of annual role-based allowance)
The Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC)is a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). UKRI is an entitythat brings together nine partnersto create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Working at the forefront of scientific endeavour isn’t possible without a dedicated team of engineers able to turn abstract scientific ideas into reality. At STFC’s ISIS facility, a world-leading scientific research centre, each problem requires a unique solution, taking advantage of the latest technologies to deliver the seemingly impossible. Our engineers have the freedom to choose their own solution, and the responsibility to take it to completion.
About the role
As part of ISIS Design Division Electrical (IDDE) group, you will be responsible for the design, project management and delivery of BS7671:2018 compliant low voltage (LV) electrical supply and distribution systems for the ISIS facility.
The scope of work will include provision of top level electrical engineering expertise, engineered solutions, design level upgrades and production of new electrical distribution equipment.
Work packages need to adhere to structured project management techniques encompassing the full lifecycle i.e. concept, detail design, procurement, manufacture, installation, commissioning, operation and eventually decommissioning.
- Full lifecycle, bespoke electrical power distribution solutions to BS7671:2018 standards
- Production of associated technical design documentation using Amtech Pro software
- Production of technical drawings using AutoCAD electrical
- Presentation of engineering designs for peer and stakeholder review
- Provision of top level electrical engineering design analysis and expertise to ISIS
- Production of design risk assessments to maintain ALARP levels of facility safety
- Production of budget estimates, project programs and documentation for future work packages
- Management of tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs
- Direct Project Management of assigned projects and work packages
- On site work to facilitate integration of new designs into existing site supply and distribution infrastructure
You will have a background in electrical engineering and experience in the design and implementation of BS7671:2018 compliant LV power distribution systems.
Candidates require good written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a systematic, methodical and organized manner in order to deliver high quality engineered solutions meeting all specifications.
Candidates should be qualified to degree level in an appropriate electrical engineering discipline or HNC/HND, along with significant and relevant experience of LV power distribution design and project management.
A BS7671:2018 18th edition qualification is essential, as is the ability to use AutoCAD and Amtech Pro design software.
What we offer
An exceptional pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Full details of offered benefits can be found on STFC’s careers pages.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed to our TopCareer.jobs website, where you will be asked to complete the application pocess.
The closing date for applications is 21st June 2020.
- Design Analysis
- Electrical Design
- Engineering Discipline
- Low Voltage