We are looking for an Electrical Design Engineer at Woodbridge Meadows factory in Guildford, Surrey.
Transformers and Rectifiers Ltd is part of the well-established T&R Group operating in Guildford, Surrey. The group employs around 80 people in areas of sales/marketing, design and manufacture of transformers, voltage regulators, rectifiers and test equipment. The Company Transformers and Rectifiers Ltd operates from its 60,000 sq. ft. factory at Woodbridge Meadows, Guildford. They manufacture both oil filled and dry type power transformers up to 7MVA and power rectifier equipment's up to 5MW in capacity. The products are largely custom designed and are distributed widely throughout the world for applications in the building services, electricity distribution, industrial processes, medical equipment and transport. The company operates a Quality System in accordance with ISO9001.
We require an Electrical Design Engineer to work as part of a small team, reporting to the Engineering Director, involved with the design of power converter equipment employing diode and thyristor technologies for transport and industrial process applications. As such we require the person to take projects, of wide variety, through from initial enquiry to successful completion within budget and will involve the following general activities:-
- Giving technical assistance to our Sales Dept, in establishing requirements with potential customers and formulating equipment specifications
- Providing technical information to Sales for tendering purposes
- Circuit design and production of manufacturing, test and commissioning specifications as appropriate
- Specification of special components and materials for purchase
- Liaise with our drawing office in production of drawings for the complete equipment
- Provide technical assistance and advice to our production area in problem solving
- Continually look at ways of improving the products
- Some travel within the UK and overseas to discuss new projects with customers and to trouble shoot problems on existing equipment
Preferably a person with experience in the design of rectifier equipment from a few kW up to several MW rating, however we will consider less experienced engineers who have a keen interest and wish to pursue a career in this area. The successful candidate must as a minimum have completed an Electrical Engineering Degree and be an existing member or working towards membership of the IET.
The skills involved are :-
- Electrical circuit design to meet defined parameters and operational requirements
- Employing efficient use of materials
- Conversant with national and international standards associated with power rectifiers
- Knowledge in the use of other power system components such as AC and DC switchgear
- Computer skills, using Microsoft packages
- Using CAD related programmes for circuit diagrams
The position is office based in Guildford but candidates should be willing to travel albeit generally on an infrequent basis.
Salary will be based on experience but is likely to be in the range of £35,000 to £45,000 plus benefits