Maternity Cover - 12 month contract
A key member of the Editorial and Production team, the production manager will plan and manage the complete production process for 15 Round & About magazines each month and two quarterly Town Council magazines. Main responsibilities include flat planning and creating complete page layouts in Indesign, as well as ensuring that each magazine is printed and distributed around the Thames Valley region to schedule and within budget.
Responsibilities and Duties
Paginate and, create and update a flat plan for each magazine. Liaise with the editor and advertising sales team to establish flat plan requirements such as advertisement positioning and features for inclusion in each edition. Find solutions to meet the needs of advertisers and colleagues.
Collate editorial pages and advertisement artwork to create Indesign page layouts and pdf page proofs in the magazine’s housestyle. Accurately make final proof amendments in Indesign.
Process and upload print-ready pdfs to the printer’s online proofing portal. Check and approve pages for printing.
Communicate with the editor, sales account managers, advertisers and designers to agree content and copy deadlines.
Update and maintain the editorial and copy chase lists and report on progress throughout the production cycle.
Create a monthly print order that confirms print quantities and delivery dates for the print supplier.
Work with suppliers to quickly resolve any print or distribution queries and ensure that the magazines are delivered to schedule.
Request print quotations and negotiate costs for magazine inserts, rate cards, stationary and any additional print jobs.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience in a senior editorial/production role, preferably in magazine publishing.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Indesign, as well as Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word.
- Full understanding of the production process from initial production meeting to final distribution.
- Able to organise own work and tasks being completed by others to meet business needs and deadlines.
- Good at managing time, prioritising and keeping calm under pressure.
- Excellent attention to detail and a methodical approach to work.
- Team working and verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience negotiating with third-party suppliers.
- Communication Skills
- Organisational Skills