New opportunity not to be missed!Ordnance Survey has an opportunity available for an Earth Observation Specialist to join the team in Southampton on a full time, permanent basis offering a competitive starting salary of £35,000 - £40,000 per annum and excellent benefits - this is a fantastic opportunity to develop a rewarding career.
Ordnance Survey (OS) is the national mapping agency for Great Britain, and a world-leading geospatial data and technology organisation. Serving government, business and citizens across Britain and the world, OS helps customers in virtually all sectors improve quality of life.
OS expertise and data supports efficient public services and infrastructure, new technologies in transport and communications, national security and emergency services. And most famously we ensure outdoor leisure is enjoyable, accessible and safe. By being at the forefront of geospatial capability for more than 225 years, we’ve built a reputation for being the world’s most trusted and inspiring geospatial partner.
OS is progressing a number of exciting projects so customers can access data in a highly sophisticated way. Through innovative use of latest technologies OS has the potential and opportunity to significantly improve the lives of millions of people across the globe. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of OS as we deliver the best for Britain, grow revenues more widely and build a world-leading digital economy of the future.
About the Earth Observation Specialist role
OS’s Business Change & Innovation Group is seeking an Earth Observation Specialist to investigate and develop novel approaches to the capture and enhancement of geospatial data. The primary focus of the role is to work as part of a team on the design and development of Earth Observation(EO) enabled content and services, to grow OS existing EO capability, and to lead and deliver satellite EO projects for UK and international customers.
The role is within an energetic, multidisciplinary team and you will be working on one or more projects with ambitious goals. Your focus will be on long term transformation of the business’s operational function whilst also delivering on short-term objectives. In addition to research and development, an important aspect of this role is the enthusiastic promotion of the team’s activity to gain the support of our many stakeholders.
Key accountabilities of the Earth Observation Specialist include:
- Leading and delivering satellite EO projects for UK and international customers.
- Key role in shaping and developing OS’s satellite EO capability at OS
- Working with clients to understand requirements and to help design a service which meets client needs
- Providing EO related technical and strategic guidance to OS
- MSc or appropriate industrial experience in a relevant area
- Excellent knowledge of Satellite Earth Observation (EO)/Remote Sensing technology
- Very good technical Satellite EO skills - including automating data access and pre-processing through to development of scalable EO-enabled applications/data/services
- Proven track record of developing technically and commercially viable EO-enabled Proof of Concepts and content in a production environment
- Experience in relevant software (e.g. ERDAS, ENVI) and relevant programming language (e.g. Python, IDL, Matlab)
- Very good consultancy skills - able to work with clients and understand how to meet client requirements
- Very good communication skills - equally adept at working alone, or as part of a cohesive team
We offer a fantastic benefits package to the ideal Earth Observation Specialist
- Salary £35,000 to £40,000
- Performance related bonus
- Competitive pension
- 37 hour working week
- 25 days annual leave - (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Training & Development
- Paid volunteer day
- Bike to Work scheme (with secure bike storage and excellent changing facilities)
- Free onsite parking
- Subsidised on-site staff restaurant
- On-site nursery
- Very generous staff benefits including over 500 discounts from national stores
- Wide variety of sports and social clubs
- Support for your health and wellbeing from eye care vouchers to health checks
- Flexible working hours
Closing Date: 27 February 2018
Why not click 'apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join the world’s leading map making and big data organisation as one of our Earth Observation Specialist.