The DOS’s key responsibility is the implementation, smooth running, administration and ultimately successful delivery of all aspects of the academic programme on centre. The role is a senior management position therefore the DOS is expected to fulfil a demanding workload.
Reports to:Centre Director (CD )& Academic Director (AD).
Location:16 centres across the UK.
Managing: EFL Teachers, GLs & International students.
Contract and remuneration:
- 4 week contract with a potential extension.
- Full board and accommodation provided free of charge.
- Up to 48 hours per week.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Some weeks you may be required to work in excess of 48 hours. You will therefore be asked to 'opt out’ of the 48-hour Working Time Directive.
Ardmore requirements for all employees
- Eligible to live and work in the UK and 18 or over.
- Have a suitable police check/ enhanced DBS(Ardmore can assist with this).
- High level of professional conduct and smart appearance.
- Commitment to safeguarding students at all times.
- Follow all Ardmore Procedures and policies as outlined in the Staff Handbook.
- Excellent communication skills and proficient in English language.
Role Specific Specification
- First Degree and CELTA or Trinity TESOL, or PGCE, or other *
- Min of two years teaching EFL.
- Ability to lead and manage an academic team.
- Clear communicator with a natural ability to explain different aspects of English language.
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to multi-task under pressure.
- Ability to motivate and enjoy working with large groups of children/teenagers.
*Other TEFL qualifications (validated by an external body to include a minimum of six hours’ observed teaching practice) and considerable experience in the field of EFL teaching will be reviewed and considered.
- DELTA or Dip TESOL.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Hold a valid First Aid Certificate.
- Experience of observation of teachers (with feedback).
- Experience of testing and placement of students.
- Experience of managing teams in summer school environment.
Teaching and Academic
- Implement and manage all day-to-day aspects of the academic programme.
- Hold weekly Group Leader meetings and respond to any student or Group Leader queries on academic matters.
- Manage the teaching staff to create a positive, enthusiastic team to deliver a high quality programme ensuring student satisfaction.
- Appraise and provide feedback on all teaching staff providing support and guidance on all aspects of lesson preparation and delivery.
- Organise and manage the Placement and Exit Testing of students, academic time-tabling, course planning and student graduation.
- Be responsible for collecting both early and final student feedback.
- Ensure that all lessons start and end on time.
- Organise and oversee the delivery of Trinity exams (if applicable at centre).
- Liaise closely with the AD/AAD in maintaining all academic administration.
- Teach when required to meet operational demands.
- Liaise with the HSA to ensure that the activities programme and academic programme are integrated successfully.
- Support the CD to aid the smooth and effective running of the centre and assist the CD to set up and close the centre.
- Write a full job specific report at the end of the course for the Academic Director.
- Submit all paperwork, including registers, class profiles, Weekly Records of Work and appraisals/references for all EFL teachers.
Training and Induction
- Complete Ardmore Online Training prior to centre arrival.
- Attend Centre Management Training.
- Attend and respond positively to appraisal from CD & AD.
- Lead the Induction Day for EFL Teachers & run weekly (CPD) Workshops for all teachers.
- Actively seek further training if needed.
- Check class registers on a daily basis to ensure against student absenteeism.
- Work closely with the management team to respond to, monitor and report and issues or concerns raised by staff, students or otherwise.
- Monitor teaching staff levels to ensure that the appropriate staffing levels are maintained and inform the CD of any concerns.
- Complete individual student Progress Reports where necessary and final certificates.
- Carry out residential duties on a rota basis, including meal supervision, lights out duties, room checks and additional duties as required.
- Maintain proper levels of student behaviour, safety and welfare and respond to emergencies at all times.
Ardmore is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All employees are required to read and implement our Safeguarding Policy.
- DELTA, CELTA or Trinity TESOL
- Min of two years teaching EFL
- Experience of observation of teachers
- Experience of testing and placement of students
- Ability to lead and manage an academic team.