SF Group are working on a retained basis to recruit a Director of Finance & Operations for Hallfield School. This role requires an experienced qualified accountant who can operate confidently as a commercially minded member of the senior leadership team and be accountable for the achievement of the school’s vision and strategic plans as well as managing the operational activities of the school.
Hallfield School is a co-educational independent school in Edgbaston, Birmingham. Welcoming children from three months to eleven years old within a stunning 20 acre site, the school prides itself in its exceptional education standards and its stimulating curriculum for youngsters to learn in a happy, secure and purposeful environment. In February 2016, their Early Years Foundation Stage was inspected and assessed as ‘outstanding’ in all four areas of learning. As a result, the overall effectiveness of the setting was assessed as ‘outstanding’. In the last 3 years 97 scholarships to leading independent Schools have been awarded to the Year 6 Leavers and last year 76% of Leavers were successfully offered places to their selected Local Authority Grammar Schools.
The School is seeking to hire an experienced professionally qualified accountant with broader operational experience, ideally in managing people and premises who can be responsible for strategic planning, act as company secretary and lead on risk & compliance within the school. The successful applicant will support the Headmaster and Governors by leading the finance and operations teams. This director level hire needs to have first rate communication and management skills.
With several direct reports on Finance, Estates and Human Resources, the remit will include:
- Strategic Planning: Preparation of 5 year financial plans, with property development projects and possible new revenue streams. Development of the strategic position of the School’s nursery as an efficient feeder of pupils within Early Years
- Finance & Accounting: Management of the annual budget process, financial control, management accounting and statutory reporting and enhancing financial systems
- Management & Administration: Managing the in-house services around maintenance, cleaning, fleet and all estate management including an appropriate procurement strategy
- Risk and Compliance: Managing strategic risk and maintenance of the schools risk register including Health & Safety and Child Safeguarding requirements
- Governance: Company secretarial duties including regulatory reporting and ensuring that decisions of the board of governors are implemented
- Human Resources: ensuring that policies are effectively managed and implemented as well as ensuring all training requirements are upheld
This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious team during at a time of positive change and contribute to the challenges and opportunities that exist, present and future. The school has recently appointed a new Headmaster who will be joining in September and there will be an opportunity to develop new strategic plans with him. The School can offer a comprehensive benefits package and is keen to secure the services of a candidate of the highest calibre regardless of sector background.