Nelson Chambers are delighted to be recruiting on an exclusive basis for the Director of Finance and Business Development role on behalf of Havens Hospices.
Havens Christian Hospice is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee. The 'Havens Group’ comprises Fair Havens (adult hospice care), Little Havens (children’s hospice care) and The J’s (young adult home-based hospice care). The Group has two wholly owned subsidiary companies: Havens Hospices Trading Ltd, which operates a growing chain of currently 24 shops across Essex; and Havens Development Company Ltd, to design and build a new adult hospice known as 'new Fair Havens (NFH) Project.
Purpose of the Role:
The purpose of this post is to strengthen and support the Charity’s in fulfilling its Vision and Mission by:
- Exercising Director-level responsibilities related to the strategic planning, development, co-ordination and management of the Charity, its subsidiary entities’ finances, and NFH Project.
- Managing the organisation’s internal business planning process, scoping and developing entirely new initiatives including new business prospects (to support the charity) and service improvements (to extend the provision and reach of hospice care)
- Identifying and fostering opportunities to work collaboratively with other organisations in other sectors and with other related service providers to help ensure the provision seamless care to patients and their families
- Scoping and exploring fresh approaches to current ways of working in order to utilise better the Charity’s resources and in partnership with the Chief Executive and other Directors, providing the Charity and its subsidiary entities with the day-to-day and strategic leadership to achieve the strategic aims and objectives approved by the Trustees and Boards of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing Trustees, Directors and Executives with high quality and timely financial analysis, advice and support
- To present the consolidated annual budget and 4-year rolling financial and business plan for the charity and its subsidiary entities
- To oversee the management of the orgainisations finance risk register
- To manage all tax liabilities, including VAT; and to advise the Trustees and Directors on how best to minimise the tax burden on the Charity and its subsidiary entities
- Prepare the statutory accounts for the organisations subsidiary entities and the consolidated accounts for the charity
- To lead negotiations with statutory bodies and other organisations on the financial aspects of contracts, agreements etc.
- To manage the organisations requirements and responsibilities for insurance
- To lead and develop the business planning process to position and equip the charity with the skills, resources and services it requires to achieve its vision and mission consistent with its strategic values
- To capture the focus and attention of this process in a 'rolling’ annual business plan consistent with the proposed budget for the next immediate financial year and projected 3-4 year forecast
- To act as a channel of communication between staff, the executive, the Trustees and the Directors of the charity and its subsidiary entities
- To inform and support the implementation of decisions of the Trustees, Finance Committee, Boards of the Charity’s subsidiary companies and the chief executive
- To promote and represent to internal and external audiences the organisation and its services
- To be a resource in scoping and exploring fresh approaches to current ways of working to develop and extend existing services and better utilise the Charity’s resources
- To provide the charity and its subsidiary entities with the day-to-day and strategic leadership for them to achieve the strategic aims and objectives
- 3-5 years’ experience at a senior level within a finance department environment
- Proven ability to manage, develop and control a wide range of budgets, within a medium to large organisation (turnover £5 million and above)
- 3-5 years’ experience of running an accounts department
- Ability to negotiate and manage business contracts & service level agreements
- Ability to implement and manage systems of risk management and internal controls
- Board level experience within a Charity Desirable
- Qualified or part-qualified accountant ( e.g.; ACA, ACCA,CIMA) or QBE
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics or similar accounting system
- Driver or have access to own transport
- Friendly, caring attitude towards people
- Have a flexible approach to the working day
- All staff are entitled to a minimum 25 days plus 8 Bank Holidays with the option to buy additional annual leave
- Pension Scheme
- Death Benefit Cover
- Salary negotiable dependent on experience
Havens’ mission is to ensure everyone affected by a life-limiting disease and those who are important to them receive the hospice care they need to make every day count. If you’re looking for a position whereby you can truly make a positive impact, please apply today.
A full job description will be provided upon successful application.