We are proud to be working in conjunction with a dynamic and award winning financial firm, specialising in the lending market. With beautiful offices, in the West End of London, you will be joining a company that will nurture your career through the years, offering you a true career path. The atmosphere is professional and friendly and their reputation is fantastic.
If you are a Development Underwriter and are looking to join a leading team then please read on...
The client provides savings products to UK residents and short and long term mortgages to individual borrowers secured on residential owner occupied and investment property in England, Scotland and Wales. The savings are direct to the consumer, whilst its mortgages are originated through intermediaries. The client undertakes all of the decision making, administration and supporting activities involved. For its mortgage business, they work with selected third parties who provide mortgage valuations and legal services on its behalf. They strive for excellence in all business functions, supported by market leading operating systems. Ourclient recruits highly motivated individuals throughout the company and everyone is active in promoting good working relationships with customers and colleagues, to create an enjoyable, hardworking, delivery focused environment.
Purpose of the role:
Underwrite approved development and bridging loan applications within company lending criteria and within personal lending mandate. Ensure that the principles of the ESIS or DIP are adhered to, in full, throughout the processing of the application. Accurately assess the risk attributed to the application ensuring that the loan is both suitable and fit for purpose. Identify any potential fraudulent activity and escalate any concerns to compliance. Communicate effectively with relevant parties on the loan building successful working relationships with clients, solicitors and valuers. Understand and assess credit reports, documentation relating to verification of employment/self-employment and valuation reports. Have the confidence to approve/reject applications in line with policy and to communicate your decision to interested parties. Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers alike. Follow and keep up to date with current best practice and regulatory requirements in line with company training.
- Underwriting experience within a specialist lending sector essential
- Development experience is preferable
- Ability to adopt a pragmatic approach to underwriting within approved lending mandate
- Able to work effectively under pressure and to deadlines
- Able to work confidently with a small team or individually
- Confident telephone manner
- Computer literate
- Planning and organisation
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Focus on results
- Analytical thinking
- Resilience and self control
- Desire to succeed
- Successfully assess and underwrite loan applications in line with prevailing credit policy
- Creation and maintenance of professional and open relationship with business providers
- Identification of incomplete or contradictory information received and successful resolution of risk and/or issue
- Recommends loans to the Underwriting Manager and Credit Team where they fall outside of the lending mandate held
- Does so with clarity and good judgment
- Participates in and contributes to departmental meetings including making suggestions to improve processes or (where applicable) amend policy
- Demonstrates a full understanding of regulation as it affects loans and keeps abreast of potential/actual changes
- Successfully underwrite high quality loan applications
- Demonstrate an ability to run high volumes of new underwriting cases while converting to draw down without losing the high standards expected
- Show excellent judgment
- Manage both internal & external expectations
- Minimum 2 years recent underwriting to include holding a lending mandate.
- Hands-on knowledge of loan processing systems.
- Knowledge of regulation as it affects bridging loans and proven ability to implement those principles throughout the underwriting process.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Reasoning ability - problem solving, maturity of judgement.
- Interpersonal skills - positive communication.
- Self management - initiative, flexibility, management of change.
- Contribution - Confidence to suggest amendments to process or policy Good standard of education