Development Scientist, Antibody Purification & Process Development
Location – Cambridge (UK)
Permanent; Associate Scientist (I) level
If you’re inspired to work for a world premier biotechnology company delivering life-changing products– join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. We have one of the most robust pipelines in the industry. You will have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing medicines.
As the Development Scientist within the Process Design and Optimisation team in Cambridge, UK you will contribute to the development and technical transfer of purification process for proteins and other therapeutic agents for use in clinical trials. Additionally, you will contribute to the development of new technologies within the group.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to a Senior scientist in the Process Design and Optimisation team you will be responsible for the purification and process optimisation of protein and nucleic acids to support the process development activities (e.g. harvest, affinity, ion exchange, mixed mode). You will perform the analysis using standard methods that include HPLC, SDS PAGE, agarose gel electrophoresis, CE, Spectrophotometer and data management.
In this hands-on role, you will perform general laboratory activities that include the preparation of buffer and the routine maintenance of equipment and will maintain a current and accurate laboratory record (lab notebook) of all activities. Your duties will also include report writing/presentations to team, department, company and externally.Essential requirements
- HND/BSc in Biology/ Biochemistry/Biotechnology/Biochemical Engineering or related subject.
- Post graduate experience of working in a laboratory focused on protein purification process development.
- Understanding of the principles of chromatography and other techniques associated with protein purification, as well as associated analytics.
- Protein chemistry experience.
- Hard working, organised, balanced and meticulous with an ability to work well under pressure.
- Adaptable and a team player with a conscientious attitude and enthusiasm.
- Provide solutions to a variety of problems of diverse scope involving basic scientific principles.
- Desire to learn and build on the role.
- Previous experience with purification and/or characterisation of nucleic acids desirable, but not essential.
- Operating and maintenance of AKTA systems and knowledge of Unicorn software.
- Experience of analytical methods for protein characterization with Waters or Agilent chromatographic systems.
- Multifactorial Statistical Design software.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
MedImmune is an equal opportunity employer. MedImmune will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Closing date for applications: 16th November 2017
Competitive remuneration and company benefits apply.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job