The following job is no longer available:
Design & Radioactive Disch'ge Specialist
Design & Radioactive Disch'ge Specialist
Design & Radioactive Disch'ge Specialist, Competitive Salary & Benefits, Bridgwater House, Bristol
This is a role for someone with some experience in radioactive discharge and waste management to further develop their expertise and build experience in an exciting and challenging environment of new nuclear build.
As part of Environment Team within NNB GenCo (HPC), this position, reporting to the Environmental Technical Manager, will provide technical advice on topics from design and procurement through to commissioning and operation to support compliance with the environmental permit for the disposal of radioactive waste. This role will grow as the organisation and project develops supporting the site, construction, commissioning and operations. This position will be responsible for producing company documents and provision of advice to other groups in the organisation and contractors on ensuring the application of Best Available Techniques is demonstrated in compliance with the conditions of the environmental permit.
In addition the role will support the preparation, implementation and surveillance of environment specific aspects related to the development of new nuclear power station at Sizewell in Suffolk, including supporting NNB GenCo’s application for operational environmental permit to dispose of radioactive waste and effluents. Furthermore, the role will include provision of technical advice to support the Generic Design Assessment Process and Bradwell B projects.
The Environment Team, working closely with other teams across the business, has the responsibility to develop, co-ordinate and deliver the necessary environmental permit applications to enable the construction, operational and, ultimately, the decommissioning of the new nuclear power stations. All of this has to be achieved within the strict regulatory framework and alongside our integrated management system. These management arrangements will enable NNB GenCo to demonstrate compliance and best practice in environmental performance at each appropriate stage of the project. In addition, the Environment Team provides environmental expertise for the assessment of design specifications, contract documentation and to support activities on company sites.
The Design and Radioactive Discharge Specialist will provide underpinning detailed technical information on radioactive discharges (liquid and gaseous) and disposals (solid low level radioactive waste) and support compliance with the HPC RSR permit. The role will also support EDF Energy’s Operational Environmental Permit applications, for SZC such as the RSR permit and Article 37 submissions. This will encompass working with all relevant bodies/authorities before operation of new nuclear power stations, including liaison with regulators as well as experts in EDF Group.
The role will also include the provision of specialist expertise to other departments within NNB GenCo (including construction, procurement, engineering, commissioning and operations) to ensure arrangements and processes that support core permitting activities are delivered to a high standard of quality and timeliness. The role will include support to construction, commissioning and operation teams as the project progresses.
- To be (or work towards becoming) a member of the Corporate Radioactive Waste Adviser body at HPC providing authoritative advice to support the design and delivery processes through the surveillance of deliverables to ensure compliance with environmental requirements
- To support the development and implementation of arrangements to ensure equipment providing an environmental protection function are specified, manufactured, installed, commissioned and maintained appropriately
- To assess the environmental risk and impact of design changes and non-conformances to ensure compliance, the application of BAT and a high standard of environmental protection is achieved
- To support delivery of EDF Energy’s environmental commitments and permit information conditions and support regulatory engagement
- To work with other members of the team to provide advice and guidance on technical issues relating to liquid and gaseous radioactive waste streams to support other NNB teams including those based on site
- Support radiological environmental permit applications for the Sizewell C project
- Coordinate within the Environment team and, as necessary, the wider directorate and EDF Group to share required information
For the role you will have the following:
- Degree qualified or equivalent in a related discipline
- Working experience/knowledge of the radioactive substances regulation and the application of BAT on nuclear facilities in the UK.
- Already hold, or be working towards, Radioactive Waste Adviser status.
- Strong relationship building, influencing and collaborative work style developed through experience gained working in complex and team-focused environments
- Good working knowledge of environmental legislation, policy, regulatory guidance and standards. Experience of legislation, environmental permits and technical environmental issues relating to the nuclear power industry would be an advantage.
- Experience of working with and developing good relationships with UK regulators would be desirable.
- Excellent communication/interpersonal and influencing skills notably throughout various levels of the organisation and externally with other stakeholders.
- Excellent organisational & time management skills with professional qualities of attention to detail, accuracy, tenacity, result-oriented and teamwork-oriented attitude.
Competitive Salary & Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including a defined contribution pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
Why EDF Energy?
We’re proud to be an inclusive, disability confident employer and recognise the importance of employee well-being, and although these roles are advertised on a full-time basis as standard, flexible working arran
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'