An exciting opportunity to join a world leader in the manufacture of life safety products to the medical, safety and rescue sectors.
Key Purpose of Role:
To support the R&D department in developing high quality, innovative medical, rescue and security products, which recognise and meet our customers’ requirements and are in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- To deliver the design work package for new products and product changes from concept into the implementation phase.
- To help establish a growing design and development department.
- Provide concept designs and attend brainstorming sessions with the project team.
- Consider design for manufacture from the outset, working closely with suppliers, quality and production functions.
- Provide fully detailed manufacturing drawings for machined components and assembly drawings for production.
- Material selection for components.
- Use FEA and calculations as appropriate.
- To understand and work within regulatory requirements for development of various products.
- Produce parts lists/BOMs and user guides.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a design engineer, preferably working within the health and safety / medical industry (such as wheelchair design) an advantage.
- A proficient user of SolidWorks.
- A proficient user of SolidWorks Simulation (desirable).
- Experience of producing manufacturing drawings (SolidWorks).
- I.T. literate, with experience using MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Microsoft Project an advantage.
- The ability to understand customer requirements and establish the impact of the entire design.
- Highly organised with attention to detail.
- Good communication skills in order to be able to liaise with colleagues to present ideas, and clients to discuss and understand their requirements.
- Focused and methodical with good analytical skills and a hands-on approach.
- Knowledge of fabrication, machining and assembly techniques.
- Broad understanding of materials and production techniques required for manufacture, such as sheet metal forming, aluminum extrusions, stainless steel, welding and plastic forming.
- Natural problem solver and inquisitive 'cando' approach to design challenges.
- Manufacturing Drawings
- Life Safety