Signwaves is a leading UK sign and display equipment manufacturer based in Great Yarmouth. We are looking for a Product Designer / Design Engineer to join our growing business and strengthen the existing Design and Development team.
We are looking for a committed, enthusiastic and passionate team player who can use a combination of technical ability and creative skills to define the requirements and then design & develop solutions to fulfil them; resulting in quality products and efficient production methods.
The work will involve the planning and management of projects for new product designs and existing product improvements from initiation to implementation. This includes commercial considerations and working with our Manufacturing team to develop optimum process design. Throughout all projects verification needs to be planned and conducted to ensure all requirements (for example: price, safety, functionality and performance) have been met.
The role is also likely to involve the verification and approval of outsourced pre-designed products and components.
Role and Responsibilities
- Planning and management of projects which are completed on-time and in full
- Delegating activities to the D&D technicians and other members of the organisation when required
- Working individually or as a team to design and develop solutions to requirements
- Developing measurement/test plans to verify that solutions meet requirements throughout the design and development process
- Analysing measurement/test data and generating reports and conclusions
- Creating design documentation to help control product quality (e.g. CAD drawings, BOM’s and standard work instructions)
- Liaising with suppliers when required
- Reporting on project progress at bi-weekly project review meetings
- Actively contributing to help the D&D team meet departmental goals
- HNC/D or Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Product Design
- Newly qualified graduates welcome to apply (the company is committed to developing its own talent base
- Good knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes
- High standard in computer literacy and CAD (ideally AutoCAD and SolidWorks)
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Project management skills
- Problem solving skills and techniques
- Design, engineering and testing principles
- Tooling and product design criteria
- Analytical and diagnostic skills
- Management skills or aptitude
Personal qualities - and more important than any 1st Class Honours Degree!
- Organised, enthusiastic and energetic
- Plenty of common sense and a positive attitude
- An understanding of the importance of adhering to company policies, systems and procedure
- Self-motivated with the ability to work on multiple projects, often under pressure and with limited supervision
- Attention to detail and a desire to get things right first time
- Process Design
- Product Design
- Right First Time