International Transportation Manufacturer requires a Design Engineer to develop any number of new model projects to a schedule as agreed with the Head of Naval Architecture as well as any number of R&D projects to meet current or future market or development needs.
- Design, Naval Architecture, Composites or engineering projects as required by the Head of Naval Architecture
- Become subject matter, commodity or object experts; build knowledge within the team and communicate best practice
- Produce accurate model (3D), drawing (2D) or technical specifications (or combination thereof) to enable internal or external supply chains to procure or produce the required object and Production to install or manufacture said object.
- Ensure that objects under the Design Engineer’s responsibility are delivered through the NPI Process from Supply Chain to Production / Assembly; meeting fit, form and functional requirements
RESPONSIBILITIES / TASKS
- Ensure all Department project deliveries to schedule are met.
- Creation of parts, objects or mechanisms that meet the project brief, budget and quality standards
- Create and manage Bills of Materials
- Ensure that sufficient and accurate manufacturing information is released to enable the object to be manufactured and installed in accordance with design intent
- Generate comprehensive Technical Specifications
- Create accurate 3D information to ensure that other teams can relate to the object under design and the object is in harmony with its surroundings
- Release accurate information in accordance with Company procedures
- Accumulate knowledge on product commodities or materials
- Communicate knowledge through Development Standards, Team Ups or other means to raise the standard of the Development Department in general & reduce rework and ensure right first time
- Use of the Change Note system to effect change in the business and action change notes incoming into the department
- Act as an Ambassador for the company, operating with integrity and drive appropriate to the Company’s values, to promote as a market leader.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to your role.
- Department deliverables delivered to schedule
- Parts meeting fit, form & function; to budget and quality standards
- Development KPIs as required
Interface with all areas of the business and OEMs. Contact with Regulatory Bodies, Surveyors and Client representatives may be necessary.
- A Design Engineering, Mechanical Design or Product Design degree (or similar), alternatively a Mechanical Engineering, Composites Engineering or Naval Architecture (or similar) degree
- Working towards professional status within a recognised Chartered Institution
- Strong communication skills and accuracy
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent team building skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to work to challenging time scales
- 3D CAD software (Siemens NX & Teamcentre would be advantageous): modelling and surfacing. 2D CAD drawing creation.
- Materials & fabrication knowledge
- Understanding of standard drawing communication tools, including weld symbols, dimensions and tolerances.
- Use of Microsoft Office suite software, including MS Project
- A positive "can do" attitude and a willingness to overcome obstacles
- Self reliance
- Recognition of and understanding of the luxury goods, luxury yacht market and client base from a practical perspective
- Appreciation of the marine environment