Vacancy: Design Engineer
Salary: £30,000 + benefits
Location: Petersfield, Hampshire
Reports to: Technical Team Manager
Main duties and responsibilities
The role of the Design Engineer is to provide technical support to the sales and project teams for all aspects of the project related to design. The objective is to develop cost effective, regulation compliant solutions within acceptable time frames. The role requires a good understanding of our client’s products, both internally manufactured and supplied to company specifications, their performance and application limits. A thorough, and up to date understanding of all relevant building regulations and British standards is key. The ability to read and understand mechanical / electrical, architectural and construction drawings and specifications is essential.
Pre Order System Design
- Produce designs for smoke control and performance louvre systems for all building types including retail, residential, industrial, commercial and car parks.
- Specialist design of duct work systems, including fan selection and pressure drop calculations.
- Design of pressurisation systems.
- Noise calculations.
- Where reasonable, meet deadlines set by the client and sales team. Where this isn’t possible communicate this to the relevant parties indicating the date that will be achieved. Consider alternate solutions based on information provided by the client to ensure the most cost effective & efficient solution is proposed.
- Provide technical advice to sales staff and customers via phone and email.
Legislation, Standards & Product Knowledge
- To be fully conversant with all current applicable legislation, standards, and design documents / approaches.
- Have an understanding of recent relevant research which may allow for more efficient / effective solutions.
- A thorough understanding of the company’s products whether they are manufactured in house or to the company’s specification.
- Advise the sales and project teams on the implications of the regulations and standards.
- Assist junior salesforce with CPD presentations / seminars.
- Assist with Fire Brigade / Building Control seminars.
- Production of technical reports for customers / local authorities (only required on large, complex, projects).
- Provide assistance to ensure correct selection of products / equipment to meet the project design specification.
Post Order Support
- Provide Technical support to project managers / installers / commissioning engineers for the design elements of the project.
- Check pre-order design in accordance with latest construction issue drawings design specification, employers requirements and original scope of works to confirm design.
- Check all drawings produced by the CAD team for allocated projects.
- Attend project meetings to explain / address / agree technical issues and to achieve formal scheme approval.
- Produce control logic (cause and effect) table.
- Produce Technical Submission and Operation and Maintenance manual.
- Support commissioning engineers with demonstrations, smoke tests to client / local authorities on large / complex projects.
Secialist Skills Set
- As a Design Engineer you will need to have at least one area of specialism which you train and support the other members of the Design team on, for example:
- Control system design (hardware / software)
- OPV Programming
- Product certification Acoustics
- Climate Control - you should be able to demonstrate how you have disseminated this knowledge with the team.
- Carry out special projects to improve the efficiency of the processes used in the team or to support new product or system developments, as agreed with the Technical Manager/Director.
It is the duty of all employees to act within the legal responsibilities imposed upon them and the company QHSE Policy. All employees are to be familiar with the integrated management system processes and procedures of the Company.
- Fully conversant in reading architectural, mechanical and construction drawings.
- Interpretation of electrical schematics / standards and their implications.
- In depth knowledge of system design and application.
- Smoke Ventilation, Fire Alarm or HVAC experience.
- Ability to communicate technical details of a design solution at all levels across a range of media.
- Track record of external technical presentations to a range of audiences.
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
- Experience in 3D modelling, Revit, BIM etc.
- Advanced user of Microsoft WORD, Outlook, Powerpoint and especially EXCEL (creating design programs).
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Building Services or Engineering Design.
- Degree in Fire Engineering, or higher degree in those stated e.g. MEng.
- Working towards CEng.
Able to demonstrate initiative and work without supervision.
- Experience in 3D modelling, Revit, BIM
- Microsoft WORD, Outlook, Powerpoint
- EXCEL (creating design programs)
- Ability to communicate technical details of a design solution