Our specialist educational client is seeking to recruit a Deputy Houseparent - Day Unit (term time only) to join their team.
Summary of the role:
Deputy House Parents (Day Unit) are primarily responsible, out of school hours, for the care and guidance of the children who are accommodated in their unit.
Deputy House Parents (Day Unit) will also be required during school hours to provide support as and when required within the classroom. During this time they will be guided by the direction from the Class Teacher or Subject Teacher
Deputy Houseparents are responsible to the Senior Houseparent, Care Co-ordinator, and the Management Group.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for whom you are responsible and with whom you come into contact.
- Creating a warm, friendly and secure environment in which the children can develop greater awareness, self-esteem, independence and responsibility.
- Taking part in recreational activities with the students, such as swimming, cycling, sailing etc.
- Maintaining good order and discipline within their unit, with particular regard to bullying and any other activities prejudicial to the interests of children and staff.
- Health matters, in conjunction with the Senior Houseparent, School Nurses and designated First Aid Officers, until the School’s doctor or parents have assumed responsibility.
- The issue and recording of medication.
- Undertaking general household duties, including cleaning and laundry, in order to maintain the accommodation at an acceptable standard.
- Care of the immediate surroundings of the unit, in conjunction with the Senior Houseparent.
- Cooking as required by arrangement with the Senior Houseparent and School Cook.
- Contributing to reports for any child in the unit, eg initial assessments and placement plans for education and looked after children reviews.
- Supporting the children with homework if required, in consultation with their Class Teacher.
- Liaison with other staff, parents, carers, others significant to the children and representatives of any statutory or voluntary agencies involved with the children.
Very rewarding role within a unique setting.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm including 45 minutes for lunch term time only. The time for which will be negotiated in the planning of your day.
Due to workplace location your own transport is essential.
First Recruitment Services is acting as an Employment Agency for this Vacancy.