Dental Nurse - (MAT COVER) - Part time - Downham Market
Dental Nurse: (MAT COVER)
Purpose of Role:
To carry out nursing duties throughout the practice, assist with reception, to carry out any clerical duties as required and perform such tasks as reasonably requested by the Practice Manager.
Works closely with the dentist, hygienists and patients providing assistance throughout a patient's visit. Assisting the dentist encompasses a wide range of procedures from preparing the various materials required and ensuring the proper instruments and equipment are available, to cleaning and sterilising the used instruments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Duties will include but not be limited to the following:
- Perform high quality dental nursing whilst assisting each dentist, hygienist or therapist in all procedures in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the GDC's'Scope of Practice’.
- Follow practice policies and procedures
- Set-up and prepare the treatment room appropriately for each patient
- Prepare the necessary materials and instruments, making sure that equipment and instruments are in good working order and maintained regularly in accordance with practice policy
- Assist in taking and processing radiographs according to your level of training
- Have relevant paperwork ready for the dentist to complete, such as referrals and X-rays which need to be completed or checked etc.
- Provide chair side support to the dentist [hygienist/therapist) during treatment
- Continually interpret the needs of the patients and dentists or therapist, and deal with them promptly and efficient
- Prepare dental materials as required
- Monitor, support and reassure patients
- Assist in the keeping of full and accurate patient records and ensure that they are regularly updated and stored securely
- Support the patient and colleagues if there is an emergency
- Monitor and maintain stock within the practice as necessary, informing the practice manager and liaising with the dentists [hygienists/therapists) over orders or any shortages of materials
- Perform chaperoning duties and act as witness for dentists [hygienists/therapists] when treating patients
- Perform the following additional procedures on prescription from the dentist following appropriate training:
- Carry out intra-oral photography
- Apply fluoride varnish as part of a programme overseen by a consultant/a registered specialist in dental public health
- Take impressions.
- Give Oral Hygiene advice
- Follow all dental ethical guidelines including all rules on confidentiality
- Complete laboratory request forms and keep records of all items sent, received and fitted
- Check that all necessary laboratory work is returned and ready for each session
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the practice manager
- Attend practice training sessions which could fall on a Saturday including CPR/Medical Emergency training
- Bring to the attention of the practice manager any concerns about aspects of the practice, its performance or the performance of others in the practice
- Attend all practice meetings as requested
- Work at other practice locations as and when required
- Perform any other tasks that are reasonably requested by the practice manager
- Escort patients from the waiting room to the surgery, confirm the patient's medical history is up-to-date and communicate to the dentist [hygienist/therapist] any change in medical history or problems that he/she has noted
- Communicate appropriately and sensitively with patients who may be fearful, vulnerable, have sensitive concerns or have special needs i.e. physical and learning difficulties, elderly, deaf, blind or for who English is not their first language
- Maintain and promote patient confidentiality in relation to patient medical history, details of treatment, financial transactions or any conversation overheard
- Provide appropriate advice to patients
- Maintain professional indemnity and registration with the GDC
- Undertake CPD in line with the GDC guidelines
- Perform other tasks in accordance with additional skills you have developed within the GDC'Scope of Practice'
- Identify your training and development needs and undertake appropriate training to maintain and increase competence in using skills by following an agreed CPD programme to comply with the GDC requirements
Health & safety
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your work
- Be familiar with and comply with all Health and Safety rules and guidance, including PPE, COSHH, mercury handling, infection control, waste disposal etc. Handle all substances in accordance with Health and Safety policies.
- In all aspects of work in the practice, act in accordance with the practice rules and code of conduct
- Follow the practice procedures for infection prevention and control
- Segregate waste in accordance with the practice procedures and ensure its safe disposalEnsure safe disposal of sharps and
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'