- Job Title: Data Scientist
- CV Submission Deadline: 10th April @ 14:20
- Daily Pay Rates: £421.71 UMBRELLA (ir35)
- Hours: Daily 7.4 / Weekly 37
- Location: South East:Dstl Portsdown West
- Contract Length: 27/03/2018 to 14/03/2020 - 480 days
- Security Clearance Level Required: SC - Security Check
Essential skills and experience
- Proficient with using Python (including use of NumPy, Pandas, Jupyter Notebook and Matplotlib) or R, preferably both to undertake data science.
- Knowledge and experience in either of the fields of text analytics (for example data cleaning, data mining and sentiment analysis) or machine learning (for example trend analysis, predictive analysis, supervised and un-supervised learning).
- Track record of using a range of data analysis tools and techniques (including open source).
- Track record of leading work strands and other staff maintaining output focus and technical quality.
- The ability to work collaboratively.
- Familiarity with software engineering techniques including version control and testing.
- Working knowledge of mathematics and statistics.
Desirable skills and experience
- Proficient in using visualisation software such as Tableau, D3.js, or games engine technology e.g. Unity or Unreal.
- A good understanding of databases.
- Track record of conducting quantitative analysis to underpin evidence base for decision makers.
- Experience of applying a holistic approach to problem structuring, requirements capture and definition.
- Use of agile approaches to delivery for example sprints.
We are looking for someone who has the following personal qualities:
- Great communication skills.
- An inquisitive mind.
- Enjoys problem solving.
- Results-oriented nature.
- Natural systems thinker.
Task Background We require Data Scientists to apply their existing knowledge and skills across a range of project and programmes.
Where they will be involved the application of new (internal and external) Data Science capabilities, in order to enhance analytical tools, techniques and insights in support of defence and security decision making.
This will require:
• Working across virtual multidisciplinary teams across the organisation and potentially more widely.
• Working individually or collaboratively to tight deadlines.
• Keeping your knowledge and skills current in this rapidly developing field.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Create impact through supporting strategic and operational decision-making.
• Build credible analytical tools from the data and using best practice coding to generate reproducible work.
• Apply relevant technical and analytical standards from across government and industry.
• Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Lead work strands and other staff, including maintaining output focus and technical quality.
• Support project teams to understand where data science can add new value.
• Work with Industry and Academia by partnering with them to ensure that the tasks we place remain on track, are of high quality and receive the benefit of internal expertise.