The Data Centre Chief Engineer (CE) is responsible for ensuring that all electrical, mechanical, and fire/life safety equipment within the data centre is operating at peak efficiency. This involves both planned preventative maintenance of equipment, daily corrective work, and emergency response to emergent issues. The CE serves as an expert technical resource reporting to a site’s Data Centre Facility Manager and interacting with onsite Engineering Operations Technicians (EOT) and any third party vendors. They are expected to be a singular focal point for all facility operations within a given data centre and to support Amazon within its owned and operated data centres. Data centre equipment that supports mission-critical servers must maintain better than 99.999% uptime.
Also expected from the CE is the ability to management small-to-medium impacting projects from conception to completion. These projects involve large amounts of independent work as well as collaboration with external support groups including engineering, automation, processing, and finance in both local and global settings. The CE will be tasked with creating and delivering on key milestones, obtaining and tracking quotes for all necessary costs, and documenting project results for future implementation at other facilities. The goals of such projects are for the CE to drive innovation and resiliency while reducing operational costs in the facilities.
The CE directs, trains and supports EOT’s in their role of providing hands-on electrical and mechanical equipment troubleshooting and operations. Implementation and execution of site/equipment-specific training exercises is also expected. This equipment includes, but is not limited to, stand-by diesel generators, switch-gear, UPS’s, PDU’s, AHU’s, chillers, cooling towers, chemical treatment systems, pumps, motors, VFD’s, and building automation systems.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations and maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment in a data centre.
• Operate independently with limited direct management
• Act as an escalation point for all facilities-related issues within the data centre, escalating to the Data Centre Facility Manager as needed, and work OT hours as needed to support site stability.
• Perform root cause analysis of equipment failures
• Troubleshoot and report of facility and data sever-level events within internal SLA
• Create and deploy new standard practices for Engineering Operations Technicians, Chief Engineers, and vendor support teams
• Provide training and guidance to Engineering Operations Technicians
• Ensure all safety procedures are adhered to by vendor and Amazon staff
• Communicate complex technical information to a non-technical audience
• Walk job sites in uneven terrain
• Work at heights and from ladders
• Regularly lift and/or move up to 49 lbs (pounds); and participate in group lifts for 50 lbs (pounds) or more
• Coordinate body movements when using tools or equipment
• Reach and stretch to position equipment and fixtures while maintaining balance
• Bend or twist the body into unusual positions while working
• Perform physical tasks all day without becoming overly tired
• Use hands to manipulate small wires and objects
• Work in a noisy environment
• Work at depths, such as under raised floors
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'