This is an exciting opportunity to join the team responsible for standardising how data is modelled and how it is described across ONS. The work produced by the Data Architecture division will specify how data is handled in the organisation, from how it is collected and stored, to how it is linked, combined and archived. The data strategy will be developed with your participation will be pivotal to the digital transformation of the office, and will influence not only the central development divisions but also the rest of the business, who will use it to store and access their business-as-usual data.
The Core Data Architecture team will be composed of a number of specialists who understand data structures, architecture principles and standards working closely with other interdisciplinary teams.
Headed by the Head of Core Data Architecture the team will deliver the bulk of the work in the Data Architecture function, including the understanding of the as-is and the design of the to-be situations. The Data Architect will be a core member of the team and therefore take a shared responsibility on analysing existing data, and implementing the plan to rationalise data encodings, structures and metadata. The Data Architect will also help the team discovering ONS’s current data processes and journeys, and assist the design of a new streamlined set of processes and policies for the data inside the ONS, including how the data is stored, consumed, integrated and managed. The Data Architect will do this by observing industry best practices and standards, and helping the team taking on board stakeholders views to best reflect user requirements.
Data Architecture (DA) is a new division within the Methods, Data and Research directorate of the Office for National Statistics (ONS). We have been tasked with the development of an innovative and high impact data strategy, underpinned by data policies and new future-proofed data architecture. The division is currently composed of a number of teams producing authoritative data forming the basis of ONS’s datasets. It is currently looking into building up a core team to design the structure and governance of all data in the organisation, starting with ONS’s current data holdings, and to define the policies and rules that apply to data throughout its lifecycle.
About the Job
• Work to the standards set for the organisation by the Chief Data Architect together with other members of the team
• Help design and work closely with IT to implement data models and metadata systems as per business requirements.
• Support the division championing data architecture across the ONS
• Help develop the data architecture supporting ONS’s full data life-cycle
You will need to demonstrate the following set of skills:
• Data Standards and Strategy - Develops data standards for specific component while having the overall DA strategy in mind, as set by the CDA and the HoCDA. Analyses where data standards have been applied or breached and undertakes an impact analysis of that breach.
• Metadata Management - Understands a variety of metadata management tools. Designs and helps maintaining the appropriate metadata repositories to enable the organisation to understand their data assets.
• Data modelling - Understands the concepts and principles of data modelling and is able to produce, maintain and update relevant data models for specific business needs. Reverse engineers data models from a live system.
• Data Analysis & Synthesis - Undertakes data profiling and source system analysis and can present clear insights to colleagues to support the end use of the data.
• Problem resolution - Responds to problems in databases, data processes, data products and services as they occur. Initiates actions, monitors services and identifies trends to resolve problems. Determines the appropriate remedy and assists with implementation of these as well as preventative measures.
• Data Governance - Understands what data governance is required. Capable of taking responsibility for the assurance of data solutions and making recommendations to ensure compliance.
• Strategic Thinking - Aware of the strategic context of their work and why it is important. Supports strategic planning in an administrative capacity.
We are the UK's largest producer of official statistics in the UK. We are also the only government department with the production of statistics as its main role. We are independent of ministers and instead report through the UK Statistics Authority to Parliament and the devolved administrations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
At ONS we believe that people deserve the best support and are given the best opportunities. Career development is extremely important to us. This is a reflection on what a great organisation you will be joining and the culture that you will be part of. As well as career support you will also enjoy excellent civil service benefits, including flexible working and civil sevice pension plan.
If you would meet the requirements , please submit your CV to register your interest
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job