SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
At SGS, we have an open corporate and international culture, we offer a dynamic work environment in a leading global company. Our high professional standards and our sustainability approach guarantee you a future-oriented work environment. We invest in our employees for the long term and we are committed to supporting your development within the company.
- Job Title: Customs Specialist
- Job Type: Permanent
- Hours: 37.5 per week on a rotational shift basis. Some out of hours work may be required
- Job Location: Shepton Mallet / Nationwide
- Remuneration: As Customs Specialist, you’ll receive a salary of between £20,000 - £27,000 depending on experience, plus you’ll benefit from a 10% performance bonus, private health cover after 1 years’ service, a contributory pension scheme and life cover
SGS is expanding its customs related services to assist the UK business community to adapt to the changing nature of relationship with the EU. To support this, we seek to recruit a number of skilled Customs Specialists. We are looking for some recruits to work from our Shepton Mallet office, but welcome applications from all locations, and value experience and attitude over geography, particularly in the current environment in which many SGS team members are remote working. While the core of this work is fixed, successful candidates will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and experience within the rapidly growing range of customs and trade related services on behalf of some of the UK’s most successful business sectors, with career progression commensurate with results.
- Make accurate and time efficient declarations, working with colleagues to reduce requirement for manual data entry, and reduce the potential for human error.
- Ensuring accurate relay of information consistent with client profile, checking with client/colleagues when necessary to ensure compliance with relevant customs legislation
- Provide a polite and prompt response to all customer queries to maintain excellent levels of customer satisfaction
- Use SGS inhouse software to make declarations, and various other providers’ applications, including CSP’s to facilitate the brokerage and transit offerings, including liaising with transport companies and clients in regard to claiming cargo.
- Ensure knowledge of customs practices and standards are maintained inline with current legislation/regulation, through continous professional development
To be successful in this role, you’ll need a comprehensive understanding of UK Customs practices, specifically the declaration of goods for import/export as well as associated facilitations such as inward processing and customs warehousing.
In addition to the above you’ll also need to demonstrate the following;
- Experience within the import/export industry with knowledge of customs
- Experience completing customs clearence declarations (Air & Ocean - Import & Export
- Able to effectively and accurately communicate with relevant stakeholders at all levels both verbally and written
- Knowledge of MS Office applications and other IT solutions
- Practical experience of making declarations and handling all associated tasks
- English Language and Mathematics GCSE Level or equivalent (grades A* to C)
- Educated to 'A’ level standard or equivalent.
The following attributes would be desirable, but not essential;·
- Direct experience of international trade or a related industry such as freight forwarding or customs brokerage
- Demonstrable track record of customs messaging covering a range of activity in regard to the movement of goods
- Trade-related qualification (e.g: UK Customs Academy/BCC/BIFA)
Bank or payment details should never be provided when applying for a job. For information on how to stay safe in your job search, visit SAFERjobs.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'