Opportunities in Bathgate, Cardiff, Cumbernauld, Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham
Enjoy a rewarding role with the country’s largest customer services organisation.
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is one of the world’s leading tax authorities, collecting the taxes that pay for the UK’s vital public services and administering benefits for those who need support. Our work is just as much about people as it is about money. And, as a Customer Service Consultant, you’ll provide the helpful customer service that’s at the heart of everything we do.
Unlike a lot of contact centre roles, there’s no selling involved here. Instead, you’ll assist a variety of individual and business customers with their tax queries on the phone, by letter, email and webchats. As their first point of contact, you’ll provide the answers to all sorts of questions about tax forms, family credits and benefits.
You don’t need to have customer service experience to join us. If you’re friendly and enthusiastic with a real interest in helping people, and a willingness to learn, we’ll support you with the tools and training you need to develop your career.
Our customer contact centres are open 7 days a week, from 8am to 10pm, and your working pattern will fall within these times.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Giving advice and support, which is central to our mission to help our customers get their tax right and ensure they are paid the right benefits we administer.
- Creating and maintaining accurate customer records
- Completing call logs and producing call reports
- Pursuing customer debt by telephone, letter and online
- Excellent empathic, listening and rapport building skills, with the ability to deal calmly and tactfully with any challenging calls.
- Good written and verbal communication ability, with basic numerical and analytical skills.
- Capable of working individually and as part of a team
As well as competitive salaries we offer a substantial benefits package, including:
- Excellent training and career progression: you’ll join our Operational Delivery Professional Apprenticeship Programme, giving you an industry recognised qualification as well as the tools to do the job.
- Competitive pension.
- Generous paid maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- A community volunteering programme, the opportunity to join a trade union, and discounted membership of local and national sports and social groups.
- Salary advances for travel costs, including annual season tickets and cycle-to-work schemes.
We recruit on merit after fair and open selection, and we welcome applications from a diverse range of candidates.